1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

3Yr old Shih Tzu male Urnination in house

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by Bubba Dog, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Bubba Dog

Bubba Dog New Member

Hello,
    My husband and I need help with our 3 yr old shih tzu, he's male and his name is Oscar, he is not nutered. We moved back in Oct and that's when the trouble started. We bought my husand's parent's house and Oscar was familar with the house. They moved into our apartment. We will take Oscar out to potty in the morning before we go to work. We then put him in his crate because we cannot leave him out he urinates on the floor or on the furniture. He is in his crate for about 8hrs and 20 mins mon thru fri. We then take him out to do his business when we get home from work and 2 more times after that. We keep him outside till he heads up the steps. I wil not bring him in if he hasn't peed at least 5 times. If we stop paying attention to him for 5 seconds he will get mad and pee on the floor. I am at ends with Idont' know what else to do. I love my dog to death but we get tired of cleaning up dog urnine. For his punishment we put him in his crate. Someone please help us!!!!!

Thank you!
    Kristy

2. Mockingcat

Mockingcat New Member

He could be marking his territory. Neutering him may help with the problem.

3. duckling

duckling New Member

Have you already ruled out UTI and kidney failure? Stones and kidney problems are pretty common in his breed, and it sounds like he's urinating extremely frequently. I really don't think he's "getting mad" -- I think it's much more likely that he's either doing some testosterone-driven marking or has some medical issue that needs to be addressed.

If his urinalysis/bloodwork comes back clear, I would suggest getting him neutered and remedial housebreaking (contain him when you can't supervise, keep him leashed to you, etc.). Is it possible to keep him in an ex-pen while you're at work? Maybe you can leave the crate door open and have puppy pads inside the pen. I'd be concerned that making him hold his urine for 8 hours might be contributing to urinary problems.

Have you been using an enzymatic cleaner for urine spots?

4. itmustbepuppylove

itmustbepuppylove New Member

i have a one year old shih tzu, he's about 15 lbs. he can hold his urine 10 hrs easy and does not act uncomfortable or rush to go potty right away. i doubt it's the 8 hrs, i'm not sure what it is, but i guess take him to the vet. i hope oscar's ok!

5. Bubba Dog

Bubba Dog New Member

Thanks for all the input, I just found out today that Oscars vet is no longer with the office. We will have to find him a new vet. He has been doing very well latleywith not going to the bathroom in the house. He has been drinking more water and I'm very proud of him. He is now waking us up in the middle of the night to take him out to the potty. I hope this behavior continous. Oscar is a very jealous dog, especially when it comes to his dad. I go to give my husband a kiss goodnite and Oscar is right there. That's his dad and nobody else's. Again thanks for all the input I will keep ya posted if his behavior changes again!

Thanks,
    Kristy

6. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Try not to let this sort of behavior rule the roost. Oscar needs to learn that he must share his dad. :)