1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

4 month puppy has metallic breath!

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by Jaxsonpit, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Jaxsonpit

Jaxsonpit New Member

Help! My 4 month old pit puppy's breath has been smelling like iron or kind of metallic lately. Does anyone know what this could be from? He used to get in the cat box and pick out the "tootsie rolls" but I moved it and he hasn't done that in a while...

2. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Has your pup been on any antibiotics recently or had a GI upset? Both can cause this.

3. Jaxsonpit

Jaxsonpit New Member

No antibiotics, but i did notice that he vomited a couple weeks ago. It was right after he had gotten into the cat box, so i figured it was b/c of that. ??? I haven't brushed his teeth yet, so I'll try that and see if it helps.

4. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

I had another thought, blood can smell a bit like iron...kind of....hes going to be teething, losing his puppy teeth and getting his adult ones in (this goes through till around 7 months of age). If your concerned though you might want to have your vet check him over.

With the litter box, if he hasnt done that for a while then it probably isnt connected to that...I did a little search to find out if there are any cat litters that may cause this but couldnt find anything, the risk if the dog actually ingests the cat litter along with 'the treats' !! is mainly if its the clumping type then it can cause intestinal bloackage....if its bee more than a week then I would think that isnt the problem (plus you would have seen other symptoms by now in loss of appetite, straining to poop, vomiting whenever the dog ate or drank anything).

I would make sure he has a variety of good teething toys, you can even get those that are like human baby teethers now, you put them in the freezer and then when frozen let the pup chew on them. Its good to change the toys daily so they dont get bored with the same things, not saying he has to have a new toy every day....just alternate them and dont leave them all down at the same time.

Finally on the GI upset, if since being sick he has been fine and is eating and drinking okay, no diarrhea then he probably doesnt have any GI problems, I was just reading something about the flora in the intestinal tract changing can cause a metallic smell, its usually cleared up with some plain yoghurt.