1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Advice needed... about my kitty's poop

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by mamma kitty, Aug 11, 2005.

1. mamma kitty

mamma kitty New Member

I would like some advice about my kitty's poop. My hubby and I have noticed it's not normal. It's stinkier and mooshier than normal. I'm concerned about her health. She acts normal and such. But she won't cover it. She will stratch around in the litter box. She has had a litter of kittens at the end of May. Her kitten's poop seems normal.

Does anyone know what could be wrong?

Thanks a bunch,

Holly

2. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

It would be worth taking a stool sample into your vet, if she has intestinal parasites or something like coccidia, giardia she can pass it onto her kittens.....unless its just down to a diet change, ate something she shouldnt have, you dont say how long its been going on.

3. JeanW

JeanW New Member

How is your kitty and her kittens?

4. nern

nern New Member

I agree with the advice on taking a stool sample to your vet. If she normally covers her stool and suddenly is'nt that could be an indication of a problem.

5. mamma kitty

mamma kitty New Member

yeah, I'd like to take her to the vets. This has been going on for months, since I got her, I think. I don't see any worms or anything. Do you think it still could be something wrong? The kittens seem ok.

thanks

Holly

6. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Like I said, take her to the vet or at least take in a fresh stool sample from her, if its coccidia or giardia you cant see it, they have to check under a microscope.

7. JeanW

JeanW New Member

Ditto! If this has been going on for months, I'd take a stool sample to the vet asap.

8. mamma kitty

mamma kitty New Member

I took her to the vet and they gave me some medicine for bacterial infection. Don't know if this will work or not. She takes the medicine fairly well. I didn't take in a stool sample though. Do you think this might work? The vet wasn't sure what to do.

Holly

9. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

if you want a correct diagnosis take in a fecal sample.
    None of us can tell you if this'll work since we don't know what she has.
    Play it safe and run a stool sample in...if it's coccadia and she has kittens you are really putting them at risk as she would have passed that parasite onto the kittens during birth.
    You can get a fecal checked w/out doing another office visit. Just take a piece in and they'll put it under a microscope and look for parasites and traat accordingly. At least if you can rule that out it'll help the vet know if treating her for a bacterial infection is the way to go - w/out it you'll never know and if it is a parasite they ain't going away on their own.

10. darkrabbit213

darkrabbit213 New Member

I read that after a Mother cat has kittens and you ween the kittens onto solid food you're supposed to slowly decrease the amount of food that you give the mother cat until they only have about 1/4 cup at each meal and then gradully increase back to the normal feeding amount. It's supposed to help the mother cat to get the milk out of her body since she no longer needs it for her kittens. Do you know if any of your kittens are still attempting to suckle? I'm assuming they're about 8 wks or so now so they should be weened by now. Maybe mother kitty is having trouble getting the milk out of her system and that's what's causing the poop problem?

You really should have taken a stool sample with you to the vet's office, I wouldn't give her any medication if you don't know if she really needs it or not.

11. mamma kitty

mamma kitty New Member

I also ended up taking her to the vets. I believe they got a stool sample for themselves while she was there. She stayed there overnight. The one doctor said, that they treated her for bacterial infection. I just don't know what else to do. I'm thinking about asking my local pet animal hospital.

OH, and yea she does still nurse her kittens.

what do you all think?

thanks so much

Holly

12. JeanW

JeanW New Member

Do you have confidence in your vet? A second opinion might be a good thing.

13. mamma kitty

mamma kitty New Member

Yeah, I''ve been thinking that too.

Holly

14. Ginny

Ginny New Member

I had a lot of problems with my female cat and her stools. It went on for a while, and even after having the stool tests done they didn't find anything wrong. Her stools stank, they had blood in them and were just really strange colours and consistencies.

I had been so worried. My cat had been eating ok, and doing everything else normally.

It's been about 3 months now since I took her stool sample into the vets, and she seems fine now. Maybe just get another sample from your cat and get it tested again? And if it all comes back ok and your cat seems fine apart from that perhaps just keep your eye on things?

I hope all will go ok for you.

15. mamma kitty

mamma kitty New Member

I plan on taking her to the vet (a different one this time) to see if this one can get her some help. On Tuesday.

thanks,

Holly