1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

alligator gar care&needs

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by 2nafish, Jul 9, 2004.

1. 2nafish

2nafish New Member

i was wondering if i get a alligator gar what size tank should i get, or should i build a big pund? and what can you feed it? a whole chicken or is that too much fat?

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Alligator gars can get 300lbs so I really don't think they're suitable to be kept as pets.

[​IMG]

This one is 6'9" and 164 lbs.

-Chelle

3. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Yeah their not great beaign kept in captivity, only palce I know that keeps them is the National Aquarium in Baltimore, MD. But if your serious about thsi then I suggest a 20 - 30 thousand gallon pond, Proby only possible if you own a few acres of land.

4. 2nafish

2nafish New Member

how big is 20-30 gallon pound ?????? like give me a an object or something to compare it to

5. Mwm

Mwm New Member

Object

A lake....

6. 2nafish

2nafish New Member

what kinda of like how big?? freakin lake onterio??? lil lake? i have some land and i want to know how much i gotta dig be helpful people

7. 2nafish

2nafish New Member

seriouly people what size lake?

8. tina1

tina1 New Member

For that size of a fish I would say nothing smaller than a half acre across and at least 18 feet deep. I could be way off but it seems like anything smaller would be way too constraining for such a creature.

And hey while you're at the digging, stop by my house. I could use a good pond :D

9. 2nafish

2nafish New Member

thank you for being helpful tina, but 18 feet deep how would i filter the pound and clean it? and is there tarp that big?

10. JxKIM89

JxKIM89 New Member

the place that i've seen it keeps it in a little box with very little room to move. Its been alive for awhile why would u need such a big lake? A box or a small backyard pond can prolly do it :wink:

11. tina1

tina1 New Member

Good question....................

Sorry, but I'm no good at building and whatnot :lol: Try calling a pool supply place as I would imagine that if anyone would have large liners they would. Or maybe go for concrete instead and fill in with dirt and plants. That would probably be much cheaper. As to filters..... I'll leave that alone for now!

12. Obelix

Obelix New Member

As for filters proby hundres of huge ass acme filter... i mean that would take alot, usaly lakes have a way of filterting themselves. also get some plecos if you descided to dig it.

13. tina1

tina1 New Member

Wouldn't plecos just become dinner? I can't imagine anything living with that! God knows I wouldn't want too :roll:

14. 2nafish

2nafish New Member

thank you for the advice, but what a acme filter? any links would be helpful also thank you
    -2nafish

15. Obelix

Obelix New Member

The acme filter thing was a joke, ya know how in old cartoons the various jokes etc with machines are involved they came in "acme" boxes? oh okey nvm, actually http://www.bigalsonline.com/ has alot of somp pumps which you can direct over differnt types of filter media, but your more then likely going to pay a lot of money for a customiszed and huge filter.

16. papastew

papastew New Member

Actually a pond of that size might be self sustaining and not need any kind of man made filtration. However, I think you would have to let the pond become established(plants, water cycling, etc..) and that might take some time. Also where do you live? I don't believe they are cold water fish and couldn't survive in a colder outdoor climate.

17. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Simply put, it is not practical to keep an alligator gar as a pet. Just like it's not practical to keep a dophin as a pet.

-Chelle

18. fishy_chick

fishy_chick New Member

I'll be blunt and honest here, I think you're freaking insane to even think about keeping a fish like that. Some fish are just NOT MEANT TO BE PETS! As t_chelle said, it's the same as wanting to keep a dolphin in your backyard. If you did keep this fish you'd need an enormous pond about an acre and 20+ feet deep. I highly advise you to not get this fish, I've never even heard of them being pets before now. Why dont you just get a 20 gallon tank with some nice blue gravel and plastic plants and put some neon tetras in it? Sorry if I'm being rude, but do you really think you can keep a fish like that?

19. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

hahaha, acme filter hahaha. nice one! i really wouldnt keep this fish as a pet! actually i ask you not to, they are better off in a natural place, these fish are quite needy and they wouldnt be quite happy in a lake or any other place then a natural setting. as for the plecos they would just get eaten even at their full length. i mean just look at that fish, it is huge and could upset the balance of things around.

20. 2nafish

2nafish New Member

dont u think its better putting it in a pound then letting it live at the LFS in small tank?