1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Animal Planet Hates Pitbulls

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by juice1348, Oct 2, 2004.

1. juice1348

juice1348 New Member

Anyone watch the ASPCA show last night 9/30. Wow! Youd think they would be different being that they are supposed to be 'animal experts'. Anyways, there was this part about two pitbulls that escaped from a yard in Miami. Well, anyways they ended up in a parking lot and when a lady opened her car door, they both jumped in (they are pets so they ride in cars). Well, the lady paniced obviously and locked them in and called animal control. The announcer or narrator of the show said "animal control was alerted to two VISCIOUS pitbulls locked in a car. They get there and get them both out using those polls with collars on the end. Both dogs are wagging the tails and one even trys to lick the camera!!! The narrator goes on calling them 'viscious' like 5 times!!! They get to the owners house and the owner tells them that they are pets and they got loose, hes been worried etc, etc. The animal control takes them anyway to the prescinct because 'pitbulls' are illegal in Miami-Dade county. THE OWNER HOWEVER, says they are NOT pitbulls, but mutts. He even has proof in the papers the town has given to them. Well, anyways, they get to the presinct and a "PITBULL EXPERT", says to the guy "too bad, these ARE pitbulls so you have 5 days to get rid of them and thats the final decision". The owner says "WHENS THE LAST TIME YOU SAW A 110LB PURE PITBULL....THERE ISNT SUCH THING, AND THIS IS A CROSS BREAD SIR." Well, it didnt work and he has to give up his 'visious' pets. As he leaves with the dogs they are jumping around kissing and playing.

BOTTOMLINE: No wonder why they get bad names.....even Animal Planet is out to get them!

2. BronxthePit

BronxthePit New Member

Death to Animal Planet its board of directors and the Idiots that produce those shows. Death to the idiot that thinks he/she is a 'pitbull' expert. Obviously they are not. My Boxer mix looks like a Pit in the face when her ears are pulled back but that does not make her a pitbull. People are idiots.. I'm all pissed off now.im glad i didn't watch it. People like that need to be torn to shreds and eaten by golden retrievers or somthing.

3. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

Yeah I saw that one before, not lastnite. The officers beat on the window and the dogs barked. They weren't being vicious just barking and they go on and on about how vicious and dangerous they are and about how they are Pit Bulls. When I saw them I'm like THOSE ARE NOT PIT BULLS. They look more like ABs or AB mixes and are really huge and don't look like Pits. Its unbelievable even with evidence showing what breed they are he still had to get rid of them and pay that huge fine in the thousands. Morons.

4. juice1348

juice1348 New Member

$500 for each dog AND he has 5 days to get rid of his pets. He looked like he was going to cry.

5. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Oh my, that is horrible!!! I hear mroe and more fo that animal planet, why are they even showing that, the poor guy.

I just read the Denver has like a30 point system to determine if the dog is a pitbull, like size of head, chest , feet, that is sooo ridiculous, what are we coming to.

honeybear

6. Sara

Sara New Member

Not all of the programming on Animal Planet is this harsh about Pit Bulls... FIRST, the org. on Miamin Animal Police and Detroit Animal cops is not the ASPCA. The New York show IS about the ASPCA specifically and most ASPCA shelters are no kill shelters and on that particular show EVERY show they have at LEAST one APBT on there that they follow through to re-habilitation and the test for behavior to get the dog adopted... They don't put them down but on that show they also bring to light that APBT's are not bad animals...they are very knowledgeable on the New York program.

One more thing... Denver and the state of Colorado has made BSL by cities and counties an illegal act and therefore it can't be re-inforced by the points mentioned above in the post about Denver.

BSL isn't taking over folks...the tide is turning and more and more people are realizing that APBT's are not bad dogs and that BSL doesn't work.

7. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Sara, you are right, I did here the state was was overturning, Denvers law, but it is still riduculous.

honeybear

8. Sara

Sara New Member

Trying to discern a dog's breed without DNA comparing adults etc...is rediculous...there's no way to do it and it's all a big joke really...

I just wanted to let folks know that Denver is no longer allowed to keep APBT's out of the city.

9. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

He also got another fine. He had one for having 2 Pit Bulls and a seperate one for dog at large/vicious loose dog whatever they wanted to say. It was over $1000 I remember him having to spend because I was shocked. They said he payed it which I thought was crazy, and cooporated to find them new homes.

10. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

I was watching that show about funny animal videos or most amazing animals - some show like that on Animal Planet. They did a piece on a pitbull that a little boy owned who was nursing a kitten. They emphasized that it was a pitbull and how nice it was and how it took this orphaned kitten in, etc.

So...I wouldn't completely say the network hates pitbulls.

11. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

I saw one program on rescuing Pit Bulls in the city, LA I think. The lady who runs it talked about how friendly they are. The couple who adopted one, the wife was scared of big dogs and dogs in general because she was attacked or something like that when she was young. But she fell in love with the dog and SHE wanted it which surprised the husband.

CH Angel with a baby
    [​IMG]
    "Mommy" feed me

12. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

I watched Animal Planet the other night where they confiscated two Rottweilers that were watch dogs. The male proceeded to bite the animal cop on two different occations and both bites were severe. I think this was in Miami also. But they still insisted that this dog was adoptable. :shock: So where's the logic in this?!? Make someone get rid of two Pits that are obviously friendly, and putting so much effort in adopting a dog with a history of attacking people.

13. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

Well I never really gave a big thought to what people think when they watch these shows and how much they influence people. Until my experince tonight. I was talking with some one who brought up the animal cops show. I said I hate that show. I said what happened lastnite with the dogs being taken away was BS. Anyway I said because they weren't Pit Bulls, ect. They said there was 4 people who were EXPERTS who said they were. I was like what kind of experts? Those things were not Pit Bulls. I would know what a Pit Bull looks like. Then they said well hey, hey got to keep then if he moved to another county. Like that makes it okay? Thats not fair, especially if they ARNT breaking the law and dont have Pit Bulls. Then they just replied well if you have a dog thats a Pit Bull or looks like a Pit Bull then your screwed. I'm just like to hell with it, I'm not going to argue you know. That doesn't make sense in two respects to me.

1. It shouldn't matter what the dog looks like, it should matter what it is. Most people "experts" included, don't know breeds from their ass. How do they know what a pit Bull looks like? Breeds that look similar still arnt the same breed right?

2. The dogs in this particular scenario DIDNT LOOK LIKE PITS!

oh well, i was just shocked, people really do fall for media bs and believe they are experts and are always right.

EDIT: One part of the convo I said they looked like AB, some type of AB mix. They said "I don't have any idea what an American Bulldog looks like" Okay so I'm talking to them and they dont know what an AB looks like and probably not a Pit Bull either, no more then these experts do. This was said right before they made the remark about if its a pit bull or looks like one, you're screwed.

14. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Although I have seen some great programs on Animal Planet about Pit Bulls this Miami Police one does seem to do their best to give them a bad name. I havent seen this show in particular but quite a few others where Pit Bulls were treating like wild lions or something. But like I said I have seen some really great programs on Animal Planet about pit bulls.

15. goob

goob New Member

I was watching the miami AP show the other night, the episode with the rotties (also saw a bit the the one with the "pit bulls" last night), and they said that they didn't want to PTS the dog that kept biting because they're a no kill shelter. The pits were going to be PTS because one county in Miami (don't remember which it is) has a ban on "pit bulls", which probably includes ABs anyway, so I doubt it mattered whether the guy could produce papers saying the dogs were ABs (I thought at least the male was an AB, the female look more like an oversized pit or maybe pit x). That's the scary thing about BSL though, doesn't matter whether your dog is an APBT or not, if they decide it is, it'll be treated/punished as one.