1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

any advice on malteses

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by Justin8717, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Justin8717

Justin8717 New Member

i was just curious about malteses....any opinions will be greatly appreciated...my parents were getting one for free and have heard they are really cute, but i have never seen one nor heard much more about them...

2. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Justin,
    Welcome to the board! :)
    have you done a search on the net for malteses? There are lots and lots! :) Try this one: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/maltese.htm

Also, there is a person on the board named "maltipoo" who might be able to help you -- huh, malti?

3. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

A maltese if bred correctly can be a joy to a family ,better suited for older people though ,can be stubborn ,more calm after reaching adulthood .There are a few problems associated with Maltese ,hypoglycemia being in the forefront (can happen very quickly so you need nutrical on hand and a few other products ,talk to your vet ) ,reverse sneezing ,and a few other littel things .Make very loving pets .Generally they tend to gravitate towards the adult members of the family but still a good family pet if supervised around really small children .They as other toys do not like being picked up by the legs ,poked and hair pulled and can lose it when they are hurt .I can't blame them ...they are adorable .

4. Riley'sMom

Riley'sMom New Member

CONGRADS to your parents! :eek: Epecially for getting a maltese for free, Maltese puppies can range anywhere from $600-$1500 depending on their bloodlines. I payed $650 for mine and he's been worth EVERY penny!! :D
    I have a 9wk maltese named Riley, he's my baby, very playful, sweet and loving, he gets a long great with our other dog Toby (cocker-shi tzu).
    Maltese, like Yorkies, dont shed, or have an odor like after playing out side sweating, or after they get wet like most dogs do. The only maintence they have if you choose to is to get their hair cut every 8wks or so, since their hair can get pretty long, you can probably wait longer its whatever you prefer.
    Once you see your parents new pup you'll want one too I'm sure. :wink: They're very adorable, and they only get up to 5-7lbs avg. so its perfect for a home or apartment.
    If you'd like to know anything else or have any other questions please feel free to drop me a line =P~
    Hope this helped.
    Lindsay
    AKA Riley'sMom

5. Riley'sMom

Riley'sMom New Member

In reply to MaltiPoos mentioning hypoglycemia, yes it is a danger as is for any small or toy dog, this is when their sugar level drops from not eating and can die if not caught in time. The breeder suggested for the first week of him being home put 2-3 drops of Kayro syrup in his drinking water to keep his sugar up. The vet suggested just giving it to him a couple times a day if he seems tired alot or weak, (i gave it to him 2-3 times a day, reguardless, just incase :wink: ) by a medicine dropper/ sereng(sp???).

6. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

Letting them lick honey off your finger is a bonding thing plus gives them the sugar they need and it is true with any toy dog but in Maltese it is more common .even in the adults under stress .

7. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

(Malti has answered her page! :wink: )

8. Riley'sMom

Riley'sMom New Member

Haha :lol: As I'd give it to Riley I'd tell him it was a treat, he loved it!! Of course Toby had to get some too it woulnd't have been fair :wink: