1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

anyone know anything about aussie/lab mix?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by cindy, Apr 7, 2004.

1. cindy

cindy New Member

Hi, I am new to this site, and hope that someone can give me some advice. I am looking to purchase a aussie/lab mix and have no idea as to the approx. size or weight that the dog will get, what is this type of dogs behavioral traits etc........ Any info. that someone could give would be great!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!

2. winnie

winnie New Member

first let me say i am no expert, but i do have a lab and they have lots of energy....her bestfriend is an aussie and they too have lots of energy and herding intincts....this mix MIGHT have high energy and will probley need a lot of exercise or be kept busy...they are both great dogs and sounds like a fun mix...labs and aussies are both very smart and loyal. Thats just from what i have personally observed.

3. Jody

Jody New Member

Hi

I have an Australian Kelpie/Labrador Retriever. You can view her pictures here: http://www.dogster.com?23474.

Jasper is 3 years old and she weighs about 32 kilograms. Her height is around 2 and 1/2 feet. She's a medium sized dog.

She has the best temprement you could imagine. She's very playfull, although at times she can be very protective. She is very very energetic, and she gets walked around once a day for about 45 mins. 8) 8) 8)

Jody

4. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Jody I clicked on your link and got "Whoa whered that dog go".

5. Maisey

Maisey New Member

I have an Aussie/Lab X named Dooley. He is 3 years old and fits our family prefectly. He has been super easy to train. He is very high energy, very intelligent, very affectionate and very demanding of our time...which we love. He is a velcro dog, meaning he follows us everywhere, always has an eye on us. He is great with our two children. We are on a flyball team with him and he plays weekly at a minimum, plus practicing. He also does agility. He loves both and it's a very good outlet for all that energy. He is protective of our family and property but not overboard. He weighs 45.5 pounds and is 22" at the shoulder. He is very lean, not an ounce of fat on him. I think he wiggles it off!
    Dooley would NOT be the right dog for alot of people. He is not the type of dog who could stay home all day alone or be a couch potato. He would probably be destructive if left like that, he NEEDS to be stimulated both physically and mentally. He is a herding type dog and when he was a pup did do the nipping at my childrens heels thing, we trained him not to. He will chase cats..actually anything that moves fast, he has high prey drive which is normal and natural for his breed of dog. We trained him to recall immmediately and he does. He still begins the chase...but can be stopped quickly with a recall command. I'll include a link to our flyball teams web site, where you can see pictures of him.
    Having said all of this about my dog...an Aussie lab mix can have a million looks, different body styles, different temperments, personalities etc...they are a mix and therefore it's open to nature to design, not all Aussie/Lab mixes will look or act the same. They won't all have the same needs either. In Dooleys litter (a large litter!) all the pups looked exactly like yellow labs (the dad was a purebred yellow lab) only two pups looked different, Dooley and a female. They both have more of a Aussie look but with a shorter hair coat than a pb Aussie(like mom). The female was red merle from head to toe and Dooley is blue merle from head to toe. So you never know what you are going to get.

http://www.flyball.com/x-fidos/id14.htm

6. Maisey

Maisey New Member

PS I wanted to add....I stated that Dooley was easy to train...he catches on quick, is eager to please and very focussed. However I spent a great deal of time training him, and still do. It takes time and commitment, as I said left to his own devices Dooley would likely be a pain in the a**. Dooley knows WAY more than the simple basics of sit, stay come and down. He has a large vocabulary, does many tricks and I swear he reads minds! The fact that he knows all of those things is not just because I love working with him...he craves and demands it. He wants to learn new things and it's obvious when I have slacked off. If you don't want to put that much time into a dog...I strongly urge you to think carefully before choosing any dog with a herding type breed in it.

7. Jody

Jody New Member