1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

At what age do they...........

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by Jedi, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Jedi

Jedi New Member

At what age will the puppy start telling you he has to go outside to go to the bathroom?

We have an 11 wk old pomapoo. He has done really good with house training as far as he will go when we take him outside. until yesterday he had VERY few accidents in the house. We have had him for about a month (since he was almost 7 wks old). We take him out when he wakes, after he eats after he gets out of his kennel etc. Yesterday however he had a lot of accidents in the house and we arent sure why. we still took him out like we normally do. Anyways, I was just curious at what point he should be telling us he needs to go out??

we live in a split level house and usually always take him out the front door but that is down some stairs and he CANT go down stairs. we have tried working on it with him but he is super terrified of it.

Thanks for any input you can give.

2. madeline

madeline New Member

It takes time, I have a little maltipoo we had her at 8 weeks, she was already pee pad trained when we got her, so we hardly had any accidents on the floor, I used to take her out every couple of hours and she was pretty much trained to go outside by around 12 weeks, I left a pee pad down in the corner of the kitchen and if she really had to go and I didnt take her out she would go on that. But I completely removed them at 16 weeks and I really cant remember her having an accident since.

We have the same situation as you the door that she goes outside is downstairs, so what we did was bell train her. I hung a large bell on one of the door handles upstairs and at around 12 weeks every time I would take her outside I would hit the bell with her paw and say "Outside". She caught on very quickly and now all she has to do is ring the bell and I know she has to go outside and I can hear it from where ever I am in the house. It works like a charm

3. Brattitude

Brattitude New Member

Puppies don't have total bladder control until 6 mos old. At your puppy's age, it can hold it effectively for 1-3 hours. Maybe you should increase the frequency you are taking the little one out to potty.

4. gypsy

gypsy New Member

Yes, we figure either 6 months, or 72 days for the wee dogs. It doesn't help your bloodpressure to sweat it, just take the baby out as often as need be, and will be magickally housebroken at the above age. It has always been overnight for our pomeranians.

5. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

For a housebroken puppy to suddenly start having lots of accidents in the house the i think personally a vet visit is in order to rule out any urinary infections...

Also stress can cause a relapse in there training so its a case of starting again and trying to figure out what has gone wrong....

Some pups take longer than others to become fully housetrained..

My pups, germen shepherd were always fully housebroken by 8-12 weeks once they went to there new homes there was only ever the odd accident till they learnt where to go potty...

Pups should be taken out as soon as they wake, After food or water, after play time and before bed.

The best way to know he needs to go is when he starts sniffing around looking for a suitable place to go....
    Once you see this take him straight outside he will soon learn...

Mike

6. RunwayPrincess

RunwayPrincess New Member

I have a Toy American Eskimo (now 5 months) and she only had 1 accident, and that was the first day I got her. I never paper trained or used potty pads. It may seen easier to use them now, and more of a pain to keep taking the pup outside, but in the long run, it's WORTH it. Any time after my puppy Breia drank, ate, right after a play session and after a nap I would take her outside. I would also watched her like a hawk for signs that she needed to go, and when I couldn't I would put her in her crate for an hour or so, then take her right back out again to go potty.

The crate is your BEST tool when potty-training. Natutally dogs don't want to soil where they sleep, so the crate will teach them to 'hold it' until you take them out.