1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Bailey Update

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by MonsterBailey, Sep 19, 2004.

1. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Well, I just got home from taking Bailey to the local animal hospital. :( (which is about an hour away) He's still there and is going to stay overnite and possibly through the weekend. :cry: They are going to run more tests, give more meds (intravenously), and do a barium scan-thingie (or an ultrasound). My vet wants to look for more foreign bodies that the reg. xray couldn't have found (such as thread, plastic, sock/laundry stuff)... the vet at the hospital also wants to run more blood work. She (another woman vet) wants to run another blood test (check his lipaste? or something) to see if perhaps it's something w/his pancreas and he has pancreatis......

In the meantime, I bawled my eyes out when I handed him to the nurse. (I think I bordered on making a fool of myself! LOL) And man!! The spoiled little dog is in for a rrrrrrrough night... he's never been crated (other than at the groomers for short time)! and not to mention, all these strangers? and no mommy or daddy!? eeek... breaks my heart. I wish I would have taken one of his toys or blankets with him!!! argh...... Little did I know.

So, unfortunately, I can't really say he's doing better yet..... :(

2. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

I'm sooooooo sorry :cry: :cry: I am sure that leaving him there was extremely difficult, but, until they figure out what's going on you have to believe he's in good hands.

I'm thinking about him (and you!) and I hope they figure this out soon and he's feeling better again very soon :D

3. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

I know this is heartbreaking for you. I just hope they fix it soon so the little guy can come home!

4. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Just hope for good news. Maybe a sock or something. He'll be alright. I'm sure all the vet techs will be swoonen over him all day.

5. nern

nern New Member

I'm so sorry to hear about Bailey. I can imagine how worried you must be...I hope that he is feeling better soon.

6. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

I just talked to the vet and they ended up not doing the barium scan thingie or the ultra sound at this point..... The radiologist and her looked at his new xrays and yesterdays (why we needed another xray a day later is beyond me... but don't care) and they feel comfortable in concluding that there is not a foreign body. She didn't feel it was necessary to spend the $$ on the ultrasound or barium tests at this point.

as far as his blood work: His lipaste tests came back a little "tiny bit elevated" -- but not enough to feel that it's pancreatis at this point. Sooooooo "at this point" they are going to just treat him symptomatically --- with the intravenous fluids, anti nausea meds, etc -- watch him overnight -- and then the nutritionally stuff tomorrow morning. (She said that if it was the pancreatitis, then this is the same treatment they would do anyways..) There was no mention about his liver at all today by either doctor --- so that's good.

So it's just "watch and wait" for the little baby to get better.... While I am the type of person that wants an answer -- I'm hanging tough and thinking this is the best news I could get in these situations. I'm just soooo heart broken about him being so far away and alone with strangers. ALTHOUGH, it is the only 24/7 center in the area and thus very busy -- so I know that he's right there with people/buddies the whole time. That makes me feel good. They also told me that I can call anytime to check on him. ((((phew))))

7. Rene

Rene New Member

Oh monster i'm sooo sorry that he has to stay all night but he is in good hands (i know what you are going thru i had to leave nala for a week when she had parvo) i'm sure bailey will be fine there and make sure you call him try to get some rest. and make sure you let us know what they find. sorry i have company right now but i had to check on you and him lol i will check in again first thing in the morning and hope to see good news.

8. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

:cry: Oh, Bailey, my heart just breaks for you pumpkin!!!!!! :cry:

Monster~

Believe me, I know how tough it is, I've been through it several times before with both dogs and cats (not Mickey & Tigger, thankfully [-o< ), and as hard as it is NOT to do, don't jump to any conclusion(s). It's much too early to make any assumptions. And like Christine said, rest assured that he is being taken care of and they are doing their best to find out what's causing the problem, and in the meantime, keeping him safe and comfortable.

If it looks like he may have to spend some time there at the hospital, did you ask the vet if you can bring him some comforts from home (maybe a blanket and/or stuffed animal)?

Mickey, Tigger, and I send our love to you, Bailey, hang in there buddy!!! :kiss_heart:

Please do keep us updated, he (and you) will be in my prayers!!! :D

9. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Ya know...I am beating myself up over the "comforts from home" -- CUZZZZZZZZ before we left today, I put one of his blankets and toys by the stairs to take. And, of course, I forgot it in my mad-rush-I'm in shock-mode. :(

The hospital is an hour away, so unfortunately, I'm not able to just drive some things over. If he has to stay another night, I'll drive up to see him tomorrow and bring him his blanket and favorite zebra....

I just called and checked on him. (That was only my second call since dropping him off at noon!!!!!!!!!!!) :) hehe......She said he was doing good... he hasn't rested much tho, since they've been pretty busy (like I said it's the only after hours clinic around) and so there is lots going on around him. She did say she took him for a walk and he went with her just fine and wasn't acting nervous or shy. :kiss_puppy: She even mentioned what a great personality he has (that made me cry!! LOL).... soooooooooo that's great news that he's not sitting in some crate trembling with fear!! I told her that he's never been crated and I was really worried --- she said he hasn't been pacing or anything, just sitting and lying down and watching everyone. What more could I expect, huh?? THANK GOD! :) :m41:

I'm glad you posted, Mybabyshih... I was waiting on your response. :) :) and you're right, I'm trying not to jump to any conclusions... (TRRRRYING) :kiss_heart:

10. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

By the way, I took a few pics of Bailey last night and wanted to share one... When I picked him up from the vet after work, she left the catheter in his arm (just in case he was going to have to go back) and so he had this little pathetic (in a very cute way though) "arm band" like he had just given blood or something.

Can you tell that my baby doesn't feel good?
    [​IMG]

I swear his leg is about as thin as a pencil!! LOL

11. MollysMom

MollysMom New Member

It sounds as tho they are taking good care of him.....poor baby....
    hope he's better soon!

12. DogLover

DogLover New Member

Monster, I'm glad to hear Bailey is home finally. Also nice to know that he didn't have to go through those troublesome testing. You and Bailey have the best of my wish and prayer. I'm sure he'll be getting better soon.

13. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

I know you are releaved to hear he isnt freaking out. THat would be one of my biggest worries. I hope his treatment goes well and he gets to come home!
    :kiss_heart: For Bailey!

14. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

I am so glad he is home, He is a little cutey and you must be proud of him for being such a brave baby.
    I would worry like you did i think its just the way most of us animal owners and lovers are.

Love the pic he looks adorable yet looks a little relieved to be back home bless.

Mike

15. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Thanks Mike (AND EVERYONE ELSE!! :) HEHE)...

I have been such a little stress-ball that i didn't really pay attention to how I wrote that. Actually, he's not home yet ( :cry: ). The pic was from Friday when he came home from spending the day at the vet's (He went to the pet hospital the following day when he didn't get better).

I just called and checked on him and he's doing well... and they just had started him on his nutrition-treatment-stuff.

IN THE MEANTIME: I woke up in the middle of the night with this EPIPHANY!!!!!!!! One day this week, I gave Bailey a pig's ear chewy.... and I remember he was chewing/playing (usually takes him a week of playing and chewing to go through one) and literally, all of a sudden, it was gone!!! So I was thinking perhaps he has a piece of a pig's ear stuck in his system!!?!?!? Anyhow, I called the hospital and told this and she is relaying it the doctor -- she said it's very possible that sort of an item would not show up in the x-ray. Anyhow, I'll give another update once I hear back.....

16. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrr, since pig ears are so high in fat, maybe it overloaded his pancreaous causing this reaction. You know my freind once though someone was trying to poison her german shepard, by throwing her food over the fence. She finally found out what the reason was that her pancreous was in trouble. BACON FAT!!!!!!!. She was giving her dog the bacon fat over her kibble. She never thought it would be harmfull. How much does Bailey weigh? Usually with all his hair he looks probably bigger than he is. So no more piggy ears.
    Monster, thanks for letting me vent on in my P.M. to you. I just did not know what to do. I appreciate you answering me so matter of factly. I am comfortable with my desicion. Those poo people can be mean, but are well meaning. Thanks.

I think the pig ear may have been what did it. I know if I eat toooo much of something I will get an upset stomache.

17. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

I knew about them being high in fat, and that's why he RARELY gets them!! But after he had his little incident with his eye the other day, I figured it was a little treat. He loooooooooves them... but, honestly, he usually gets one ONCE A month (IF THAT). But you can bet he's neverrrrrrrr getting them again!!!!! I'll let you know what the dr. says... and you are welcome on the other thing! :)

18. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Natures Balance has those sausage rolls, my dogs go ape over them. Try that. Oh, what city did you bring Bailey to?

19. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

Hopefully this is what is wrong with him! It makes sense, especially if he ate in one day as opposed to a week like you mentioned it usually takes him.

I've never given the girls anything like that, I'm too paranoid about them! The only "treat" they get are puppy biscuits. Maybe when they are older I'll be more willing to give them a different type of treat but not now.

Keep us posted! :D

20. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

small (but good) update...

the doctor called around 1:00 and said that they were able to feed him something and so far he's kept it down. They are going to feed him again around 4:00 and for me to call around 7:00. It's a possibility he might come home tonite if all goes well... but she did mention she may want to keep him overnite, just to be sure. Either way, I'm thrilled he ate something! My poor baby. They said he had quite an appetite (well duh!!! the guy hasn't eaten since Tuesday!!), which is a healthy indication.

I talked to her about the pig's ear ... and she said that it's possible that THAT is the culprit. She didn't think he had any big pieces creating a blockage -- because, otherwise he'd be blown up (bloated) and his belly would be sensitive to the touch, and also, his appetite wouldn't have been so good. But, it's possible he still had some bigger pieces that just didn't digest well and reeked havoc on his poor belly......\

Anyhow, so far, things are going pretty good for him (considering!) .....I'll keep you posted. I hope he gets to come home tonite!