1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Betta in a 10 gallon aquarium

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by tyler_medeiros, Jun 18, 2005.

1. tyler_medeiros

tyler_medeiros New Member

What else could be put in a 10 gallon aquarium with a male betta. We were planning on getting Kribs for the 10 gllon but the betta looks so happy in there. we are open to any ideas other than cories or catfish,
    Thanks

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

You might be able to try neons, but they can get nippy. Danios may work too.

A kuli loach should work. And so would ghost shrimp and apple snails. African dwarf frogs are good (not the clawed frogs).

You might be able to get away with a female dwarf gourami. I wouldn't try a male, but a female might not be as aggressive.

-Chelle

3. tyler_medeiros

tyler_medeiros New Member

woiuld any other tetras work???

4. Used

Used New Member

Black Neon Tetras, or Glowlights. You could also do some White Clouds.

5. gravity

gravity New Member

I'd avoid any and all tetras. They all get pretty nippy. I have a betta in a 10 gallon with some red wagtail platies with no problems at all. I'd suggest sticking with platies as this is the second time I've paired bettas with platies and haven't seen any aggression at all.

6. Aznfryboi

Aznfryboi New Member

well i suggest having a betta in a 10 gallon with tetra, 2 gold fishes, red eyes tetra, glass fishes but i haded a baby red ear turtle so it ated mah betta :cry: accept the head it ated the tail body fins they i did not kare to bother cause i was too lazy to clean the tank i only haded gold fishes in there den like 4 days later i just back form sckool i saw he was eatting the betta head :lol: i also saw my turtle bited mah japanese koi fish and hanged on to it while mah koi swim around the 10 gallon.. i was cracking up man... i liked mah turtle but as soon as it grew big i hated cause it kept making mah water dirty killed mah aferican dwaf frog 1 baby pleco it just went wild it climbed out of mah tank!!!! and i thought these kid stole it!!! that time i was mad... but 3 days later my sister founded in her room it was on the back of the mirror!! :p man the turtle was so week it can hardly swim so wat i did was i puted 5ml od ick mediceine for mah 10 gallon then a couple days laterit was not weak no more yeh i haded 2 turtle in mah tank with the fishes they were EVIL!!!! turtles.. the like 2 weeks after i turned off mah fish light for like 10 hours then i turn it on i saw mah turtle just sitting there doing nothing while the other turtle is sittinf on top of the floating log.. i was like u can full me u dam turtle... then like 10 min i went to the bath room and came out i when to my tank and put mah hands in the water trying to reach the turtle yeh so when i touched him he was dead i was like *** man i spended 8 bucks on this mabe red ear turtle man why he haded to die.. i guess he swallow a rock or some thing cause he was on the floor and his body started to spell... my god.. so after i picked his dead body.. i try to yeh his body out of the shell but i couldn't i pull his arms, head, legs but it keep sliping off my hands so i got mad.. so my dad say go throw the turtle away the i did went to the trash can and threw it away..the reason why i try to get his body out of his shell was that i wanted his shell so i can make a neckoless outta that shell hehehehe :p... yeh so that's the pretty much ending how 1 of my turtle die.. yeh now i don't have no more turtle so its all good for now.. i gaved mah red ear turtle to my little cussin he has in his 2 gallon it's a small turtle but soon he would need a bigger tank.. i got my hand bittewn by those turtle and belive me it HURTS!!!! owwwweeeeee.... thanks for reading...

EDITED: Watch the language! This is a family forum.

7. oscarboi

oscarboi New Member

Your one very sick person...

8. dude412

dude412 New Member

aznfrynoi- dont post unrelevent gibberish that no one wants to read or cares. 2-about how your turtle killed the fish because the owner cough cough* wasnt smart enough to reserch about its care and requirements and 3- if you dont have anything helpfull to say fro the question why bother writing at all ? and try to make your typing so a normal person can read it and 4-Welcome to the forum.

9. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Azn, by the sounds of wut every fish that comes in contact with you goes through, you shouldnt own fish, all you do is kill them! Koi get 2feet + long! and goldfish also get to big for a 10g, and you have way to many fish in there! Get rid of all your fish and dont ever buy more!

10. OnixRevolution

OnixRevolution New Member

Azn...That was one of the sickest stories I have ever heard. How old are you? Guessing by you're grammer I would say really young.
    If you're too lazy to clean a tank after you found fish parts floating around, you shouldn't be allowed near any animal. And you can't pull a turtle out of it's shell just by pulling on the legs...its all attached inside the shell. Try doing som research before buying anything else.

Back on topic...Some white clouds, tetras, livebearers(except mollies), and rasboras. They say that the male fancy guppied might be confused with another betta because of its color and long fins. But Bettas have their other personality. One Betta may not care if there are more fish, while another may just loathe the fact it got tank mates.

11. drab911

drab911 New Member

I have a 16 gallon tank with, neons, one betta, african dwarf frogs, though they sometimes nip the fins and hang on for a ride haha,. as well as platys and danios and ghost shrimp and snails.. any non agressive fish should be OK.. they learn quick who not fo mess around with
    also having a lot of plants helps too so they have lots of hiding places

12. Aznfryboi

Aznfryboi New Member

hey wat can u say?? i was just a beginner i did not know nothing about fishes. i didn't know that they had aggressive fishes i just started to got into fishes.. Also beside i was at sckool didn't have time to clean the tank. i haded project on sckool so wat can i do? nothing. well that was back then though. But now the turtle is out of the tank!!! 8) like a mounth ago, i gaved to my cussin cause it was evil... but now it's all good now.. fishes are living good.. oh my gold fishes were small and the turtle didn't attack them cause they were too fast.. The koi was too slow at swimming and got killed.. Beside i didn't buy the koi and the gold fishes my older sister did.. but now i don't have problem.. i might send the pacu back to the store or mabe get a bigger tank.. For my fishes, i might just get the basic tank for them cause i don't really need a fancy tank. Well rite now i have hiding place in my tank. i have live plants in it. i have 3 female convict and 1 male convict in it. they seen to doing fine.. they don't chase each other all they do is swim around. for now i lock my male convict in my net breeder for Temporty!!!! so mabe i'll get a bigger tank next mounth or 2 weeks from now..

13. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

you mgiht get a bigger tank for your pacu? like chelle said, they are shoaling fish, so you would need a few....which means you would need a 1000 gallon tank or larger to house them.

14. Aznfryboi

Aznfryboi New Member

hmmmm.. i bought my pacu form the petsmart and it's kinda getting me piss it's too aggressive i mabe would liek and return but i don't have the reciet for it.. can i still return it??

15. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

im not sure, i think they have a 7 day return policy, but if you dont have the receipt then i dont think so....mgiht as well go and check anywyas, try and get store credit.

16. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I dunno about adding the dwarf gourami with the betta cause I know a lot of stories where ppl add a betta with their gourami, and they fight, so I would do that with lots of caution at any sign of aggression, but ghost shrimp and adf should be good.

17. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

From my own experience I've found that even the most placid betta will fight with a gourami.

18. Trickster

Trickster New Member

I have had a couple for calm and and completly non-aggressive bettas that were put with any other fish, and started beating the tar out of em, so bettas are nice, but i would go for a female, males are pretty darn aggressive.

19. Trickster

Trickster New Member

School is no exuse, i also goto school and i got time. Water changes take like 20minutes! YOu cannot say you cant find 20minutes a week to clean ur tank! (Theres weekends)
    And droping in a couple flakes twice or 3 times a day aient to hard either.

O im pretty sure they will just take the pacu for free if u dont have a recipt.

(And sry to tyler who posted this thing to get information about his betta tank and got it turned into a discussion about azn.)

20. Aznfryboi

Aznfryboi New Member

i didn't have no equipment it usaully takes me 3 hours of cleanning the 10 gallon fish tank cause back then i didn't gace the gravel vacuums..