1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Breeding Snails

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by papastew, Aug 17, 2004.

1. papastew

papastew New Member

I am interested in breeding some kind of snail to feed to my spotted puffers to keep their beaks short. Any advice on what size setup I should have and how fast they can breed?

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

you wouldnt need that large of a setup, and pretty much all u need is to put a few in the tank and they will be breeding soon....might take a montho to raise them to a nice size though, but try it.

3. papastew

papastew New Member

Do they need any type of aeration? I know a lot can live in pretty stagnant water.

4. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

i am not sure

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Snails breath atmospheric air so no, you don't need aeration, but you should have filtration of some kind.

-Chelle

6. Nameless

Nameless New Member

55 gallons seems pretty small for two oscars!

7. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

yea, it does....i jsut noticed that in his siggy too. 55 gallon is bare minimum for jsut one oscar.

8. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Sorry, one more question, I hope you don't get mad at me for asking but, how can you have both a coldwater koi and a tropical/warm water pleco both in a 20 gallon tank?

9. Hooben

Hooben New Member

I've heard it said that koi need at very least 12 inch deep water in a large pond. There is no way that a koi can survive for very long in a 20 gallon tank. The water quality would suffer very badly as well. The pleco also will grow too large for that small tank. Unfortunately they both have different needs as well. I'm afraid that koi and goldfish are better suited for ponds.

10. papastew

papastew New Member

The koi is only 4 in long but it has been moved to a larger 55 gal tank that I was waiting on being cycled and as for the water temp it is in the low 70's which both seem to be okay in. My oscars are only about 5in right now. I know they will need a larger tank eventually but are okay for the moment.