1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

can i give athletes foot to my bird?

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by katek, Oct 20, 2008.

1. katek

katek New Member

i've just discovered that i have athlete's foot (still trying to find out where i got it from). i'm worried that my bird will contract it from me. she has a thing for my slippers and has spent time walking all over them. the fungus was also on my hands and i've handled her quite a bit too.
    do i need to rush her to the vet?

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi, I don't think you can pass it to them but i am not 100% sure.
    If you are worried a quick call to an avian vet will put your mind at ease.
    Please let us know what you find out...

If i find any information i will let you know

Mike

3. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Been a while since I worked at a vets but from what I remember athletes foot is a 'tinea' and they generally are inter-species transmissable so yeah....I would definitely check with your vet, Id also be really careful of any treatments (anti-fungals) your using coming into contact with your bird.

(I have to say that there are a range of tineas....ringworm is another strain which is definitely transmissable from animal to human/human to animal but I dont know for certain if some strains are more/less risky or capable of transmitting)

4. katek

katek New Member

i phoned my vet who said that she won't contract it from me. what a relief

5. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Thats great news, Glad everything ok

Mike