1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Cat biscuits are now preferred...

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by BeeJay, Dec 14, 2008.

1. BeeJay

BeeJay New Member

Mickey had urinary problems earlier this year - poor boy would dig a hole & try to go, look in the hole, nothing, so would dig another hole, nothing & so on - I happened to be nearby & realised he had a problem, so off to the Vet straight away.
    Mickey was put on antibiotics, intravenous fluid therapy & kept in hospital for a couple of nights, & had a full checkup of the situation - the problem was crystals causing a blockage, & once he came good with the Vet's care & attention, the Vet recommended that Mickey should go on special Urinary Biscuits, so that he doesn't have any more problems.
    So now the problem is that both our cats prefer these biscuits (as I thought, probably sooner or later, the same thing would happen to Louie). At around the same time, I bought them the supercoat biscuits, which they also like very much & they do feel really super! Now they don't really want to eat the canned cat food anymore. They will eat a bit when they are really hungry, otherwise they ignore it & wait for me to give them "their" biscuits. Both drink plenty of water & just a little milk for a treat, from time to time, because they love it.
    Question is: Is there anything wrong with that? Just thought I'd ask you all what you think? The Vet seems to think it's ok, so I guess I shouldn't worry. :?:

2. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. I think if you just give them whatever amount of the biscuit the vet said and no more they will be fine. It would not be good for you to give them more than what is required, as I'm sure the biscuits do not have enough nutrients needed for them to be healthy. :D

3. BeeJay

BeeJay New Member

Thanks Chessmind - you are quite right.
    Louie had an abscess & had to visit the Vet's this week, so I queried with the top Vet about the all biscuit diet. She said that she had recently attended a seminar, where this subject was discussed & that the outcome was to give the cats some raw meat, e.g. minced kangaroo, and/or chopped raw chicken - something wet, as cooked meat is usually dry. Also, watch for worms, as that can be a problem with raw meats, so worm more often, or as necessary.
    We used to give the cats raw chicken necks, but if they are too large, the cats can't seem to cope, even when cut into smaller bits. Then we changed to chicken wing tips - that seemed to work ok, so will go back to doing that. The raw chicken bones are good for their teeth.
    Also, we will try them with kangaroo mince & see how they like it.

4. brinh123

brinh123 New Member

Also make sure that there's plenty of fresh water available for them. One of my cats loves playing with the dripping tap in the kitchen so I've just ordered them a 'pet fountain' water bowl that constantly streams water into the bowl. A friend of mine with a Maine Coon recommended it as his loves it.