1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

cat has HUGE hair mass on back from tail extending up 4&quot

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by stephife, Jun 21, 2011.

1. stephife

stephife New Member

My cat is about 12 or more years old, not sure. She has this huge thing that started off as matted hair on her back but has morphed into something like a rooster's cone that extends from the top of her tail, moving toward the center of her back for about 5 inches or so. I don't bathe my cat, nor comb her hair so she has never had either of those, but I never did that with my other cats either and this has never happened. Nor do I spend time playing with her. I'm thinking its a nervous condition because, unlike a lot of cats, she is extremely needy and I just don't have the time so she is pretty much ignored. [I'm not mean, I just don't have time... it's all I can do to do the people thing.] That's why I got two cats so they could play with each other. Unfortunately, the playmate turned mean and began to terrorize my cat --- this was back when she was much younger. So I had to let my daughter keep the mean one while I have the needy one. Any ideas what this condition could be and what I could do about it that doesn't involve a large dollar amount at a vet?

2. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

I'm not sure I understand... Is it a mat of hair that is really thick and now has fur sticking up at the top of the mat? Or is the hair gone and it's a mass of skin? If it's a mat and your cat is a long haired one maybe a groomer visit is in order... The only thing is that if the mat is really bad and they have to shave it down to the skin depending on how well mannered your cat is you may need to sedate her. If a mat is left un treated it will start to pull on the skin and can cause a great deal of pain, skin infections and odor. If it's a skin issue a vet visit may be needed...

I have 2 short haired cats and 1 long haired and I brush them several times a week needed or not.. my longhair one has never matted but it keeps the hair down... plus they love it!!

3. stephife

stephife New Member

It is hair not skin, as far as I know, but I think you're right. I'm going to have to take her to the vet to get a real diagnosis. I certainly wouldn't want her to be in pain. Thank you for the reply.

4. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

No worries I hope it was helpful... Mats can sneak up on ya...especially if the cat goes outside and gets something in their fur.... but yes a vet visit to have it looked at and removed will keep her from hurting... Was just thinking about it and hehe if they shave just the mat you'll have a reverse mowhawked kitty :) post pics :)

5. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

If the mat is that bad, yeah...do the vet thing (it does sound like a nasty mat). I once had a long hair cat that used to get mats even though I would brush her all the time (brushing really helps to prevent them), you still have to keep a watch out for mats.

Mine was a lap cat so she would lay quietly on my lap while I gently shaved/clipped the mats off. I could see her skin flinch now and then so I would go softly and when she's had enough of it, she would hop off my lap. But she would come back a few minutes later. I know that she knew that I was helping her get rid of the painful mats. She always came back and let me finish shaving/clipping/cutting the mats. I never forced her to sit on my lap and endure it. I let her come and go as she pleased. It worked well with her. She was a very mild tempered kitty.

When mats get bigger and tighter, it's like someone pulling you hair 24/7. Very annoying at first and downright painful if it goes unchecked