1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

cat is eating strangely

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by pepto, Feb 11, 2006.

1. pepto

pepto New Member

my 2 year old cat was a lethargic on monday. over the week her behaviour has improved, she seems normal, but she has a decreased need for food but seems to be drinking much more water than she used to.
    any ideas what this could be?

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

no idea but I think a vet visit would be best. Any change in behavior, eating habits warrant a vet visit.

3. charbama

charbama New Member

Your cat may be diabetic, they tend to drink and urinate a lot. Depending on the severity they can be treated with a special food or sometimes with insulin shots. I had a cat with diabetes and had to give him shots twice a day. It really isn't very difficult after the first time. I know a couple of people that have diabetic cats that lived into their late teens so don't worry too much. It will take a few trips to the vet to find the right dosage for your cat.

4. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. How is your cat doing? Is your cat indoor/outdoor? I only ask, because I used to have outdoor cats and now and again they would eat something that didn't agree with them (such as a lizard). That doesn't mean that indoor cats don't get into "bad" stuff too. If your cat doesn't seem to be doing well, the vet is always the best solution. It's just better to be safe than sorry. I hope it's nothing serious and your cat feels better soon. Let us know what happens.

5. pepto

pepto New Member

hello. thanks for the advice. over the week she has improved, her eating, according to my mother is not much different than normal. i just notice her drinking a lot more than she used to, (but that may be because i'm in the room with the water a lot)

today however, i'm noticing something strange.

she seems to be walking funny: at first it seems it's seems hesitantly, you know when they are not sure of something and they lift up one paw? however this happens more often and her front legs seem to be in a funny position when she's walking. also her backlegs at times seem at a funny position too. (very straight and splayed out) she seemed to be concentrated on smelling something in the kitchen, i thought it was the fish on the table but she is doing this in other rooms too. it's not constant, this behaviour is not there all the time. at times she's walking normally.

her other behaviour seems normal.

i am just remembered of when i had a seizure and my legs were very uncoordinated at times?

she is an indoor/outdoor cat. it's raining today. i'm keeping her inside today and i'll take her to the vet tomorrow to see what's going on.

6. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

I'm glad you are going to take her to the vet. :y_the_best: Keep us posted on how she's doing.

7. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

wondering if she has an inner ear infection. It can cause dizziness