1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Cat throwing up green fluid

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by seebr, Dec 4, 2004.

1. seebr

seebr New Member

Hello,

I came home from work and it appears my cat is sick and was throwing up green like fluid. She looks sick and weak. I have made a veterinary appointment for tomorrow morning, as they were already closing when I got home.

Anyone have a cat do this? Is it minor or serious? What causes it?

I know I won't be able to sleep tonight until someone can let me know something.

Barb

2. PilotKitten

PilotKitten New Member

OMG....

Is it like a mucousy-type green stuff...then it could just be some bacterial infection in the lungs (sort of like people get)...

Are you fairly sure he couldn't get into anything that might be green like cleaning solutions or car fluids? Is so then, it could just be the bacterial thing like I mentioned before or perhaps some type of food he ate? Perhaps a plant?

I hope everything turns out all right...taking him to the vet is the best thing you can do.

3. seebr

seebr New Member

PilotKitten,

She is an indoor cat, so she doesn't get around anitfreeze or anything like that. As far as plants go, I only have two and they are out of her reach. Even if the leaves should break and fall, she can't get to it.

My son had a cold, do cats catch a cold and throw up?

I've had her for about 5 years and she has never been sick on me. She was so lovey dovey last night.

Her name is BABY because she is a baby. She is only a 5 pound tabby.

I appreciate you responding.
    Barb

4. PilotKitten

PilotKitten New Member

Cats can catch colds and sometimes from people, it's just not extremely common.

And what about cleaning supplies? I keep mine locked up in a closet but once my baby got into it and just the fumes from some of the stuff made him nauseous and throw up....cats smell's a bit different from ours.

Perhaps it's regular stomach fluids and something she ate or inhaled just upset her. I've had my cats throw up because of the water out of the kitchen faucet wa so bad...now I have to double filter it. Also, sometimes I have one that hides under the bed and the dust irritates her and she throws up her food sometimes because of it. Then, there's breaking into the treat cabinet and eating everything in sight.

As long as she's eating and drinking water (most important) and you have a vet appt tomorrow I wouldn't be overly concerned just yet.

5. seebr

seebr New Member

No, there aren't any cleaning supplies she could get near.

I have been home 3 hours now and she finally got sick while I was here while ago. It is more liquidy than it is mucous. In fact, before she got sick, it was dripping out of her mouth. Now she is laying down on her four paws, but not allowing the weight of her stomach down. She's quich up. I'm getting worried now. I guess all I can do is wait until morning. She has not ate or drank water since I've been home.

Barb

6. PilotKitten

PilotKitten New Member

I would try to get her to drink some water (if only some of the water from a can of tuna) .... cats are like humans...throwing up dehydrates them pretty quickly.

7. seebr

seebr New Member

Well, she doesn't want the tuna liquid, she went and hid. Should I try to give her water from a dropper?

Barb

8. PilotKitten

PilotKitten New Member

I would just make sure, for now, that it's fresh cool water that's available. If she doesn't drink any at all tonight then make sure you mention it to the vet in the morning. Some medications he/she might give her could dehydrate her more.

I hope she gets better and nothing's terribly wrong. :(

9. seebr

seebr New Member

Thank you. I hope nothing serious is wrong too!
    Barb

10. vene

vene New Member

I'm sorry about your kitty. Green stuff could be bile. Sounds like your cat has tummy upsets from my guess. :cry: I hope the vet can find out what's wrong with her and treat her accordingly. Keep us posted on her condition.

11. nern

nern New Member

I found this article that mentions green vomit:
    http://www.petpeoplesplace.com/Care/Cats/004/22pr.htm

I hope everything is okay. Let us know what the vet says.

12. seebr

seebr New Member

Everyone,

Baby hasn't gotten sick again since yesterday. She slept on the dog's bed last night and didn't move a muscle, causing the dog to sleep on the floor. :) She seems to be back to herself this morning.

The vet said her vitals were ok and the xray showed everything ok. He advised since she was feeling a little better, he didn't want to do any further testing at this point. Keep an eye on her and if she starts getting sick again to call him.

Thanks for caring, Barb

13. vene

vene New Member

So glad she's back to normal! :eek: :eek: :eek:

14. PilotKitten

PilotKitten New Member

15. Breezay

Breezay New Member

so glad your baby is feeling better :D that's great!
    Love Breez.x.

16. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

so glad to hear she is better....i was thinking maybe she ate a toy or something green.... :0011:

17. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

I jsut go to this thread this morning. How is the cat? Any more getting sick?

I wanted to mention that a few years ago my one cat (Boris) had a blockage he was throwing up green. He did it many more times than once, though.

But, when he went to the vet, nothing showed up on the x-ray or any other test.

In the end, it was an earplug he ingested. It wasn't dense enough to show up on the x-ray. The earplug wound up plugging his intesting.

After many emergency visits and an operation later, we had a cat on the mend. He's fine now.

I just wanted to say that if your cat gets sick like that again, please go back to the vet! I hope it's nothing and it sounds like you're taking great care of your little one. I know how scary my situation was and I hope it all works out for you. Just keep a close eye on your cat.

Good luck.

18. puttytat

puttytat New Member

This saved our cat....Thanks!

Our cat experienced this same issue and thanks to this post our cat is still alive and well. The vet had no idea what was wrong with the cat as nothing showed up on the xray. After finding this post we agreed to go ahead with exploratory surgery. The vet found two small pieces of a foam toy in her bowel. They successfully removed those and now our cat is back to normal! Thank you so much for sharing this information!