1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Cockatiel won't stop screeching!

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by mogsmom, Dec 29, 2004.

1. mogsmom

mogsmom New Member

He's male about 8 weeks, been around me for 1.5 wks....

He was quiet in the beginning, and since the other day he started screeching.. He will climb on my finger and walk up my shirt to perch on my shoulder but he's still screeching as he does it...

Is this good or is he sick ??

His stool looks fine, could he be tired?

I'm new at this and it's frustrating, but know i'm patient and being good to him, I just wish I could read his mind.

He is making chirping noises every now and then, so this is confusing for me too...

Thanks

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi as a cockatiel breeder i can say that they screech for different reasons.
    From being scared of something to being annoyed.

Some just like to screech and there is no need for it the way to stop this is simply ignore him/her when they do it.
    If you goto them when they screech they soon learn if i screech my owner comes to me and you don't want that.

At 8weeks old you will not be able to tell if the bird is male or female sometimes you can but its very rare as all young birds resemble the female until the first molt.

What colour is your bird.

Mike

3. mogsmom

mogsmom New Member

I got him from a breeder who got a dna test done, got his papers and he's a male...

He has a bright yellow face and vibrant orange cheek patches.

I wonder if he's tired, i've read they need more sleep when we do?

10-12 hours... My husband gets up at 720ish and goes to bed at 10-11pm.

When he gets up i'd imagine the bird wakes up too.

He was perching on my shoulder about an hour ago and he was screeching. He was fluffed up and when I went to look at him his head was nestled in his feathers, but he was still screeching while trying to fall asleep...

He likes being in my hair too, I noticed if my hair wasn't surrounding him he would screech, but if I tilted my head to the shoulder he was on he would soon stop...

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

I have never known them to screech when tired they will just fall asleep where ever they are comftable.

At 8weeks old he would not have a bright yellow head as it would be a pale yellow and his cheek patches would be dull they dont get there true vibrant colours until 6months of age when they go through there first molt.

My birds will sleep even if there is noise when they are tired they would sleep anywhere so the amount of light is not really a factor.

Too much light is only a problem when you have a male and female in the same cage as the more light they have the higher the chances of them breeding.

Mike

5. CockatielCrazy87

CockatielCrazy87 New Member

My tiels Screech when I leave the room or put them back in their cages. My birds are very much so momma's birds and deman attention. Scooter also screeches when his food dish is empty .