1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

disturbing...

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by kyles101, Apr 6, 2004.

1. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

after reading jamiyas disclaimer post and reading some peoples posts on all the boards, i need to get this off my chest. if your pet is in an emergency situation the last thing you need to do is hop on the net and ask us for help. we are not vets, we cannot help when your animal is VERY ill and we dont have all the answers. if your pet is in danger, PLEASE take it to the vet straight away. its just wasting valuble time if you switch your computer on...

*ready to get bashed*

2. kyles, After reading a very recent post, I understand completely why you would write this! I don't understand why someone would wait on a reply when it's obvious that the animal in quetion needs help right away.

That is not to say that thier are not people that need advise when it's not truly urgent, it just seems urgent to them because they are scared at that moment. So please everyone don't take offence to the above.

Just an observation from a concerned animal lover :D

Sincerely, Susan

3. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. I agree about taking any animal to the vet right away in an emergency situation. However, some of these people are just kids. They are totally upset and worried about their fur animal. They want to go to the vet, but they can't for many reasons being as they are kids. Such as: no money to take the bus/taxi (not to menton not having their parent's permission to leave the house alone). No friends or neighbors who want to take them to the vet, parents are not home and so on. Can you image how aweful and stressed they must be feeling? It's not the kids fault if they don't have money or parents that feel it's not urgent to take the injured animal to the vet. These kids care a great deal for their animals and I think they come here for advice as they don't know what else to do, being as they are unable to take their animal to the vet on their own. Please take this into consideration when you reply to a kid that is desperate for help. It's fine to tell the person that they have to call their parents and plead with them to take them to the vet and so on, but just don't be so harsh with them. I'm not pointing fingers at anyone here. I just happened to notice that we do have quite a few young posters.

4. Point well taken! :D Chessmind....I hadn't thought of that!

Yes Youngsters we are here for you!!! :D :D :D

Susan

5. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

kids are an exception of course. im talking about adults who are capable of taking pets to the vet. im also talking about true emergencies eg 'my pet isnt breathing/moving, my pets just been hit by car' and so on. there is no point hopping on here.

6. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

good point kyles. I recently read a post and told the poster the same thing. It is quite easy at times to tell who is an adult and who is not, but it is a good thing to keep in mind!

7. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I agree wiht both Kyle and chessmind, but we do need to keep in mind not to jump immediately to harshly on some people when we dont know their circumtances. case in point several months back a woman came here desperate for help about birthing and puppies. Several people immediately jumped down her throat why she wasnt taking the dogs to the vet or calling the vet. In her first post because of her panic she didnt say that she had a call into her vet and another and no one was returning her calls and she was rural so there was no emergecny place. And it had been over a day and still no call from the vet so she was in a panic.

But is does make me wonder of some the posts that are so generic, like my puppy hasnt eaten in 4 days what should I do". Now that is stupidity to me that someone hasnt taken that pup to the vet, or this some kid that needs help like chessmind said and the parents wont do anything. Unlike me when my pets just hiccup I rush them in.

Honeybear

8. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Honestly, if a child below driving age is home alone and an emergancy occurs, what kind of parent wouldn't come home to take care of the situation? What if they kid was hurt?
    Just makes me think. I understand if the animal just started vomiting, and nothing serious, but like the thread with the kid that said his cat got hit in the head and was convulsing, and having severe brain damage syptoms. What kind of parent would make their kids, let alone the pet, sit throught that all day??? I can't even immagine the trauma thats leaving on the animal and the child!

9. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Unfortunately, it happens. People suck.

Jamiya

10. honeybears

honeybears New Member

:( And these poor kids are will probably be traumitized for a long time for not being able to help their pets. :cry:

Honeybear

11. indica

indica New Member

my opinion

I do agree with you when it comes to posting but sometimes its the only way. People might not have the money to pay the huge vet bills, and even some of the postings arent even in need of a vet all they want is a bit of advise from someone else because they cant think of what to do in the situation their in.
    I for example am not able to get to a vet in time for anything. I live in a remote area that is a days drive from any vet. Plus the cost of the travel is approx $300.oo. Do you have that kind of money just lieing around to spend on getting out to a vet? plus employers that will let you take two days off work to get out there?
    This website is pretty much my only other option. And it dose help out lots. I have learned alot from this site. And saved myself a ton of money by not rushing out to town everytime im scared about something. If you have a problem with this site i think that maybe you should just stop coming to it. or leave your opinion to yourself. there are reasons why people use this thing. obviously you dont need to. good for you. dont make other people feel like shit because they dont have the luxery you do.
    indica

12. honeybears

honeybears New Member

indica, I really hope no-one here is making you fell like sh**t. :( It is nice to hear that you have gained a lot of great advice here, I know I sure have, and continue to get great advice and some no so great. it is a womderful avenue for everyone who loves their animals looking for support, help and just to chat.

Honeybear :)

13. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

indica if you have something to say regarding my previous post its best to use this forum or use the private message function and not use my personal email address. if you feel you do not fall into the '100% capable of taking pets to the vet' category then you should have absolutely nothing to be worried or angry about in my post as it would not be in regards to you. but for some reason it has struck a nerve, and sending me a long email to justify yourself is pretty much useless. im sorry for your loss but taking it out on me for making an observation, not an accusation, is pretty immature. if you read my 2 posts, you would have read that i was talking about adults who were capable of taking animals to the vet. as i explained before you were not able to and for that you should not be angry, but for some reason you are. also since when would my post make someone feel like s@%t? did i accuse you of something? did i call you a name? did i even use your post as an example? i think not. im just worried about the people who can do something but dont want to. and believe me, i have no luxuries. so before you use my email to let off steam, think...