1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Do beaks need clipping

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by Fagan, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Fagan

Fagan New Member

Hi

Please can you tell me whether it's necessary to clip a birds beak or will they keep it the right length by themselves?

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Birds usually keep there beak trimmed themselves when biting on cuttlefish bone.

If the upper part of the beak starts to curl under the lower one then it will need trimming but this should only ever be done by an avian vet.

Mike

3. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Yea agreed with mike, beaks are very very sensitive and need special care when trimming, I would let an avian vet do it. Cuttle bone normally does the trick or a tonic block too..

4. Fagan

Fagan New Member

I have tried to put cuttlefish and mineral blocks in her cage, she just ignores this. Any suggestions to any other ideas. Oh by the way i do give her bones to chew on will this help?

5. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

What kind of bones, As i those used for dogs if so these are not to be given to birds.

If the cage is large enough to get a tree branch in that might get her to chew on it and grind her beak down.

If using a branch scrubbed it with warm salty water rinse thoroughly then place in the oven on high for about 20mins the remove and allow to cool once cooled this can then be placed in the cage as the heat and salt will kill any bacteria on the branch.

Leave the bark on the branch as this gives most birds hours of fun trying to get it off.

Mike

6. Fagan

Fagan New Member

I use chicken bones - the drum stick and she loves it. is it ok? I was told that if you give them the bones it's good for them.
    Are there any particluar tree branches that you suggest bearing in mind that i live in South Africa, i have a fear i'll land up giving her something that is toxic.

7. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

I have never heard of anyone giving there birds bones of any kind...

The Baobab Tree is ok and safe, Any branch is safe really aslong as you scrub it first and then put it in a hot oven for about 20minutes then allow it too cool then place in the cage, Once scrubbed and cooked it kills the germs

Mike