1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have a bird?

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by meandmycatromeo, Mar 17, 2005.

1. meandmycatromeo

meandmycatromeo New Member

do you have a bird you like? what kind is it?

2. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I think you'll find most people on this forum have a bird that they like. :)

Why do you ask? Are you looking to get a bird and are wondering what kind to get? If so, tell us about why you want a bird and what you want to be able to do with it!

I just got my first birds less than a week ago. I got several pairs of finches, a pair of doves and a canary. They are fun to watch and listen to them sing, but they aren't the type of birds that you can take out of the cage and play with and of course they can't learn human speech. That's what fit our lives best at this point in time. Others here have bigger birds - conures, parrots, cockatiels, budgies, etc - that you can interact with more.

3. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

I own finch's Cockatiels, Budgies and a love bird.

I love all birds like Jamiya mentioned if your thinking of getting a bird let us know what you would like to be able to do with your bird and we will give you some suggestions on which are the best species.

Mike

4. meandmycatromeo

I'm thinking a cocketiel

I'm very interesded in a cocketiel. What are they like? are they friendly?

5. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I have 4 budgies now and in the past I have has 3 cockatiels and a canary.

I've found cockatiels to be very friendly for the most part (except the last one i had was downright mean).

I find them to be very sociable birds and I think a good bird for beginners.

6. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Cockatiels are great birds easily trained and some can learn to speak.

Providing they are handled daily and allowed out of there cage daily they are happy, friendly birds.

As with all birds if they feel threatened or scared of something there only defence is there beak and will use it to there advantage.

All birds will nibble your fingers this is there way of scent tasting they do this so they can check you out they will remember these scents as friendly or nasty.

Great and very loving birds.

Always buy from a reputable breeder as most will have hand fed there birds and these are the easier to train.
    A young bird is always better than an older one as the older tiels are usually stuck in there ways they can be tamed and trained but they like things there way.

Mike

7. meandmycatromeo

thanks for the advice

Thanks! I love the information! this will help me find the right bird! :eek:

8. meandmycatromeo

what do you like?

what cockatiel is better? a girl or boy?

9. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

A male cockatiel will learn new tunes and learn to speak alot quicker than the females.

Female tiels are very independant and prefer too be left alone but there are females like mine that love to sit on your shoulder or cuddle under your chin.
    Females will also lay eggs even if there is not a male present which can cause problems for her if she excessively lays eggs.

Males on the other hand are eager to please there owner and are more dependant on the owner.

but both make very good pets.

Mike

10. meandmycatromeo

ok, I have picked out the bird. A cockatiel. but, I don't know how much they cost. and the cage and everything like that. CAn some one here please tell me what your cage cost.

11. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Costs of cages varies from petstore to petstore.

You need to make sure you purchase a cage that is large enough from the bird to spread its wings out fully without touching the sides.

Here in the uk the starting price in some shops for a cage suitable for a cockatiel or parrot is about £45 i am not sure how much they will be in your area i would goto different petstores and see how much they charge.

Mike

12. meandmycatromeo

ok, thanks! I have some names in mind, can you pick one for me?

Pete
    Andy
    Cookie
    Cookoo

13. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

I like the name cookie :D

14. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

I had a cockatiel many, many years ago and it 'hated me', I read books, talked to people etc on how to 'make friends' but nothng worked, it turned out that any female that went near got bitten, but then my friends husband came over and he bonded instantly with it (I say it because I never knew if it was a male or female, I think it was a female). My mum had a friend whos husband had a stroke and the doctors had told them that maybe getting a budgie, cockatiel or parrot might help the husband speak again if he tried to talk to the bird so I gave them my cockatiel, within 3 months the husband speech improved greatly, the cockatiel was happy and eventually bonded with the wife as well.

A happy ending I think for all involved. Its strange though, Ive been bitten by a cockatiel and a Green Amazon (still got the scars from the Amazon and that was 30 years ago). I have to restrain birds someitmes at work and while I have no problem with owls and hawks and can, if I have to, handle the large Blue and Gold Macaws, I still have this 'fear' that goes through me with cockatiels and Amazons. :oops:

15. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

I had a Specticaled Amazon until about a year ago, when I moved to another state. The move was a sudden one, and had to be done in stages. I had intended on bringing Whirrly with me when things were settled, but he made a very strong bond with the friend who offered to care for him while I was finding a place to live and getting all my stuff moved. So, concidering his age (he's at least 35), how well he doesn't handle travelling long distances in the car, and the fact that he's a happy chappy right where he is, I decided it would be in his best interest to stay where he is.

Whirrly is a bit unusual for an Amazon. He's very tame and gentle. When you show him the nail trimmers he'll lift his foot and spread his toes to be trimmed. If you get the scissors out and ask him to spread his wings, he will, so you can clip him. Of course, he yells "Ouch! Help! Help the bird! Somebody help the bird" the whole time, then laughs when you're finished. He can get nippy in the spring, but never really bit anyone. And he usually gives warning before he nips by mumbling "ouch ouch" first.

16. meandmycatromeo

thanks! and I like the name cookie to, but I like the other names to. but any way, Thanks for the story and advice

17. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

Sometimes a bird comes and stays in the bird house out ide and during the winter thats what its for but no I dont have a bird but I wish I could have one.

Do you think ots good I put out the bird house?