1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Does your cat meow when you sneeze?

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by lunaguy, Mar 7, 2005.

1. lunaguy

lunaguy New Member

I started noticing that whenever I sneeze, Luna meows at me. Not a loud angry or inquisitive meow, more of a quiet, pathetic-sounding, warbling sort of meow. Almost under her breath, and really quiet!

Well this really freaked me out the other night. She was in her "igloo" covered bed, asleep, when I sneezed about 3 times in a row. Right afterward, I heard what sounded like a faint meow. I looked in her bed, and she was curled up in the fetal position, half upside-down, with her eyes completely shut. Weird, I thought. It must not have been her that I heard.

I sneezed again, and I heard the meow again... it definitely came from her, WHILE SHE WAS SLEEPING!

The odd thing is that my wife sneezes much more often than I do, yet Luna doesn't react to that all. My wife now feels like Luna doesn't like her as much as she does me, and is a bit jealous. :mrgreen:

So I searched on Google for "cat meows when I sneeze" and I came across several other mentions of this phenomenon. Including these:

Aside from thinking that you all would get a kick out of this, I was wondering if your cats meow when you sneeze, and if you have any idea as to why some cats seem to react this way.

Could it be that they are concerned because they think we're hissing at something? A sneeze sort of has a hissing sound, in a way, I guess. Or do they just not like the sudden loud sound?

Looking forward to your thoughts!

2. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

I think this is the answer although Im not a cat behaviourist.
    A cat that we had in the hospital years ago, it wa a very sweet cat, no aggression, was fine letting us take him out of the cage, do the treatments we needed to do, one morning as I went to pick him up and take him out of the cage I sneezed (I usually would try not to sneeze or cough with my head in a cage) but I couldnt stop it, this cat suddenly arched its back and started hissing at me, I think he thought I was hissing at him and maybe threatening him. For the rest of the day I couldnt go near him either in or out of the cage but he was his usual sweet self with everyone else.

3. lunaguy

lunaguy New Member

Very interesting, DeLaUK!

I was doing a little more searching, and came across a couple of other things related to this. One is a poem! Here it is:

LOL

And then I found someone else's take on this phenomenon, from http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=289800

4. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

:) Interesting, after all these years of feeling bad that I upset the cat...I dont feel so bad anymore :)

5. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

Very interesting. I've never heard of that before. My kitties don't do that. :)

6. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

OMG Cooper does that too! I thought it was just our bond--lol.

7. vene

vene New Member

That is so interesting! Nope, none of our cats react to sneezes. :mrgreen: