1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Dog Food?!?

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by Jadapit, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Jadapit

Jadapit New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I wanted to get your opinions on what kind of dog food you think is the best. My pit is 7 months old and my other dog will be 2 in a few months.
    I have read that Purnia dog food is one of the worst foods out there to give to your dog. Does anyone know if that's true or not!?!

I want to feed my dogs the best there is but I'm not sure what that is.
    Both my dogs are real active and they have tons of engery so would they need a high engery dog food? I would appreciate any advice on what you think I should be feeding them! Thanks so much!!!

2. Angie

Angie New Member

The vet told me that Pro Pac is one of the best.
    So thats what I have been feeding Shianne from day one.
    But a lot of people have many good opinions on this subject, it has been posted before.

3. nern

nern New Member

4. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

the best dog food you can get is one you make. as for the best kibble i wouldnt know. in australia we have the worst selection of dry food. the best you can buy here is eukanuba, yuck.

5. Sara

Sara New Member

I like Nutro myself.

Seems my dogs are leaner and shinyer than EVER...it's soooo much better than Iams or Euk. even... And is the same price as Iams is... Great stuff that Nutro...it doesn't have bi-products either.

6. ZenasMom

ZenasMom New Member

I started Zena with Innova, but her hair became patchy and she was itching. Also, her B.M.'s became VERY stinky (even after I had completely weened her from the food she came with by mixing them for a while). I talked with a few different people, including my vet who I trust whole-heartedly and decided that it was too high in protein for her. (Zena just turned 1 on March 17!) We decided on Nutro Natural Choice (Lamb and Rice) and her BM's have become smaller and less stinky! :eek: Also her hair has grown back nicely and is not dry anymore. She is so much shinier and looks all around more healthy now! So, I personally, would recommend Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice!! :D
    Sara: Do you feed the recommended amount on the bag? I did for a while, but it seemed Zena was getting a little chubby, so we have cut her back to half and that seems to be maintaining a great weight for her!

7. Sara

Sara New Member

I do feed the recommended ammount on the bad...the lower end though because if I went the upper end my pooches got a little heavy... All but ONE of my dogs eats the recommended ammount...The Boerboel. He's EXTREMEly active so I'm feeding him at 9 cups a day...he's only 100# so...he also get's 1/2 a cup of rice once a day, he's a bit ribby...THAT'S working wonders though... Other than him the rest are getting the recommended ammounts. My female Boerboel might also end up getting more...those two dogs are REALLY full of energy and are BOTH younger than my pits...ugh...can't wait till their matabolism slows down...they're eating me out of house and home!!

8. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Zenasmom:
    I also feed Nutro natural lamb and rice. I love it. Harley has more energy now, and her coat is so much smoother. The smaller stool is a total bonus as well.

9. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Nutro has a new food now, at least it's new here, called "Ultra." It's part of their "Natural Choice" line. It has chicken, lamb, and salmon. But the rest of the ingredients are all natural like, sunflower oil, flax seed, wole brown rice, kelp, cranberry, oatmeal, no synthetic preservatives. It's $40 for a 35# bag which is kind of pricey. Reese's coat really shines. Grace it's hard to tell, she's always dusty from playing.

10. ZenasMom

ZenasMom New Member

BullyLove: I know exactly what you are talking about with the energy!!! I swear I don't know how anyone or anything could have as much energy as Zena!! She tears through the house jumping on the couch and then on to the bed and around the table....then off to play with her brother! Finally, nap time! I just can't understand! Maybe I need to switch her to the crappiest food out there so she will just sleep! LOL (JUST KIDDING!!!) I would never sacrifice her health for my sanity! :mrgreen:
    Nice meeting you! Harley is a cutie!

11. Sara

Sara New Member

I thought about feeding the Nutro NAtural choice you mentioned but it's easier and more cost effective to buy the same kind for all my guys... I don't want to NOT feed Large breed to my big guys since it has all the additives (Glucosamine and condroiten (sp?)) so we stick to large breed Nutro MAX... I was feeding Iams before that...and there's been a 100% increase in my dog's health...better coat, more energy etc... And it doesn't cost any more than the Iams... I'm totally impressed and think EVERYONE should try out Nutro for a month or so... Good food!

12. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

lovesdapits!
    Thanks for the info. I will be looking for that brand next time, which is coming up pretty quick now. I feed Harley half a diet of natural food aswell and I think that has made a big improvement aswell. The salmon in the food will be great for her. There are so many omega oils that dogs can't get from their kibble. I give Harley 1 tbsp. of Tuna per week to make up for it.

13. ZenasMom

ZenasMom New Member

Food: including kibble, home cooked, and raw or a mixture???

bullylove: what do you feed when you say 1/2 diet natural? i've been wondering about a lot of different types of diets because I have talked to different people: some feed just kibble, some home cooked, some raw.....and then some people feed a mixture of different types.....
    what is everyone's opinion on the different types of diets mentioned above?

14. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

I have not researched enough of the raw diet, but have heard wonderful things about it. The natural diet I feed is just real human food. I usually blend it all together. Veggies can be harder for dogs to digest , but if you blend it up for them, the first process of breaking the food down is done for them.
    Chicken, Lamb, veggies (not onions or grapes as they have been found to be toxic), tuna, eggs and egg shells (save the shells when you feed them the raw egg and crunch it up and add once a week in their food. Its great calcium for them.

If you are interested in learning more about it I would suggest going to yahoo groups and typing in Totally Home Cooking. I joined this group and its great!! They have awesome recipes, so even if you don't fully switch your dog over, you can give him a nice treat once in a while. They also have recipes for doggie treats/cookies. This is a much healthier chioce than regualr cookies for your dog. I think of it as once dog cookie is equal to a snickers bar. Lots of calories!! Plus, if you're like me and you coax and train your dog with treats, (I mean, really, what works better;))
    Anyways, that's what I do. I am really interested in a raw diet, but don't have the time to look into it now.

I am in no way a professional dietician, this was just what I researched and tried with Harley. Always check with your vet before you make a major switch in diet. If you do decide to change diets, even to a different kibble. First wean them off of the old.
    Week one: 3/4 old 1/4 new
    Week two: 1/2 old 1/2 new
    If your dog gets sick from the change start more slowly. When you change diets, your dog may get the runs and be a little sick the first little bit getting used to it. Monitor everything closely, and if you get worried, check with your vet. Harley's transition was relatively minor, and I have noticed wonderful changes in her since I have switched. I will eventually be switching 100%, but as I am starting school in Sept. and the natural is a more expensive diet, I have decided to do half of each for now.

15. ZenasMom

ZenasMom New Member

Thanks!!! I have joined Totally Home Cooking. A neighbor of mine fed raw to her dog, but she couldn't afford it for a while. She loved it. She said that his "poops" were hard and tiny and didn't smell. She also said that his skin and coat were the best they had ever been! I have a book called "Best food for dogs" and it talks about the home cooking diet. It says that the raw diet is actually bad for dogs. I haven't personally had any experience with it, but Laurie says she loved it. She is going to put him back on it after while. She has started by giving him a raw bone every once in a while.

16. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Awhile back I was checking into the raw diet. Someone posted a really good site, http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/riverien/nutritogether.htm It tell how much, what types of food. It even gave a weeks menu. With me, time is an issue. I would have to take a day buy, prepare, and package it to freeze. It it weren't for the Deli, we would probably starve.

17. daddyfs

daddyfs New Member

i feed my pup nutro max.. it does good for him.. i never felt a coat soo soft..

18. Sara

Sara New Member

There are pros and cons to all diets... I personally have researched the raw diet, even called around to find suppliers of my meat...but I came to the decision that unless I plan on grinding my food and feeding cetain bones (knuckles etc..) as a suppliment I'm not willing to take the risk of possibly having my dog's diet possibly not balanced correctly and then the bone issue (that's why if I did do it I would grind it all...with bones for suppliments)...

Too many variables for my taste...I'll skip raw for now.

19. pitzerlover

pitzerlover New Member

I feed all of my dogs Diamond. I have never found anything that worked this well. Very little poo, pretty coat, no bad breath, and no sensitive stomach for the schnauzers, and the eat LESS !!!!!! :y_the_best:

20. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

lovesdapits!
    I was at the pet store yesterday and inquired about the new "Ultra" brand by Nutro. The girl there said she went to the conference for it before they stocked it and was amazed!! The guy came out with all this stuff we would buy at a health food store, and was like "That's what's in it."

She said she was so impressed, that we could probably eat it and be healthier for it. ;)
    I will be buying a bag next week when mine runs out.

Thank you for posting about that brand. I am pumped to start on it.