1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Dog Food?!?

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by Jadapit, Apr 17, 2004.

1. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

bullylove1: You're most welcome!! The ingredients are the same as if you went to a High Health Store. It doesn't use by-products and no nasty preservatives. My dogs eat healthier than I do.

2. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

3. snowpunk87

snowpunk87 New Member

Not a very smart comment... Glucosamine and chondroitin are VERY important for large breed dogs as it helps to promote healthy cartilidge in the joints. Make sure you know what they are before you say they are additives as if its a bad thing. It is an awesome thing for large breed dogs to have all their lives. This is why those two ingredients are in most supplements for joints. Hopefully you take a second and think about it.

4. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

There are a lot of high quality feeds out there.

Nutro is one of the best, that is what we feed, we feed different ones depending on the dog. Large Breed, Ultra Senior, High Energy, and Puppy.

Other good ones are Flint River, Black Gold, Life Abundance.

Pro Pac is also good, we have a friend who gets it by the pallet load and is very happy with what results and he also distributes it, its pretty high quality but after researching it we decided to stick to nutro only because it doesn't have the same ingredients (missing some that nutro has) and we would have to use more supplements to get everything nutro has.

I've heard Bil-Jac is good and they go have quality food but use corn which is mainly a filler.

5. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Hi True_Pits Was just looking at your website, theres some sad piccies in there, some look like they have been fought :?: Theres a few Battle scars on them. :(

6. Sara

Sara New Member

Snow punk, please re-read my post...I said I dont not NOT want to feed my big dogs large breed...so I picked a large breed formula for all of them...

Cezza, often pits escape and accidents do happen. On a large yard it's inevitable and battle scars can occur. Also a scar can be the cause of something entirely different than dog fighting. Never was the question posed about where true pits may have obtained dogs...buying a pit that was fought is not uncommon. Wish positive thoughts could be more prominent than the negative ones.

7. someday

someday New Member

I don't think I've seen any scars on True Pits dogs. If you're talking about the ancestors gallery, she doesn't own those...they are the ancestors of her dogs, and I'm sure many of those were fought, since that was the use of the breed in the past.

8. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

I'm working on my new site now, but which pics are you reffering to? I forgot the site was still up..lol

Thanks Sara and Someday.

As stated yard accidents can't always be prevented, if you are good at keeping and containing them and checking on things daily they can be minimized, but not always prevented. Once I had a female that sleeps in my room and another that sleeps in a crate get into it, the one in the crate had got out and I had no clue of course, things like these can occur.

I have also had dogs that were fought before I got them, so they do have scars, I have dogs that were beaten also before I got them and might have a scar or two from human inflicted injuries, I have some that were catch dogs so they would have scars and one I have has a scar from jumping through a window and cutting herself. One dog I have was stuck by a goat. So not everything every scar is from fighting.

Are you just assuming like the Humane Society and ASPCA that if a Pit Bull has a scar it must be from fighting?

There are probably several dogs with scars in the ancestors page also as mentioned, which are not my dogs, just the ancestors of mine who were pit fighting dogs like any pit bulls ancestors out there.

9. Chezza

Chezza New Member

No not at all, Iv seen the devastation of Pits being fought and its just so horrible, I never questioned or intented to offend, I love browsing at piccs of Pits, and was interested how far the breed went back, thats all.. :)

Iv got a book called " The world Of The American Pit Ball Terrier"
    By Richard F. Stratton. I confiscated it, because there was promotion of fighting.

[​IMG]

10. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

Thats cool, no problem, I wasn't at all offended :D Just providing explaination as to why some may have scars.

And as far as my quoted comment there are many people who think the way I mentioned, didn't know of you were one of them, sorry. They watch tv too much and just assume every dog with a mark is a fighter. One episode of "Animal Cops" I watched a pit had a huge long gash under his neck obviously cause by something human inflicted and no other marks on him, he was black so they would have shown up easy, but yet they reffered to this young little dog as a "hardcore fighting dog". People see the shows and make the same assumptions, so I hope you can understand where I'm coming from.

I know which book you are reffering to, I own that and Rich's other books. I owned a dog down once from his breeding (working on getting another now of heavy corvino/going light blood). He also gave my dogs grand dam her first 1st place when she was just starting her show career and my hubby has conversed with him several times. A lot of what he writes involved pit fighting, mainly of past dogs however and stories of them. Which you can find in other books as well as many website. What do you mean you confiscated it and from whom? I own his books and also own the Complete Game Dog, Pit Bulls and tenascious Guard dogs, and several other books and magazines on the breed. While there may be refferences of fighting in some there is also a lot to learn. Heck I even learned a few things from an article written by Garner and I'm totally against him and what he does (besides the dog fighting) with his dogs.

The pic of which you linked to was infact a fighting dog, so you are correct on that one. He is a Champion fighting dog/ROM dog and a Grand Champion I show dog he has produced a good number of show champs/grand chs and pointed dogs, he seems to produce pretty consistently. He is my the dog in my signatures grandsire and is about 11yrs old now and still producing and is a 50/50 cross of RedBoy/Turtlebuster. I think that pic was taken shortly after his pit career and that is why he is of scared nature and looks so bad (only one I had at the time), as I took a picture of him lastyear and he didn't have any marks on him, all healed and completly gone.

I have also drawn his picture and others....

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b122/dadogs/Artwork/kadenart.jpg
    This is a drawing I did of his grandson (double bred off a son of his).

[​IMG]
    Another grandson of his

[​IMG]
    One of my dogs dams.

[​IMG]
    This is one I did of GR CH Buck ROM

[​IMG]
    This is the drawing of him

[​IMG]
    This is GR CH Yellow ROM
    I gave a copy of this one to Kate G. at nationals as she loved it and she would like me to do some artwork for the Gazette, will be cool.

I've done several others this is just a few, but anyway didn't mean to get all off topic.

11. Sara

Sara New Member

I was curious about the confiscation as well... I think I have that book I've got two by Stratton and they dong really "promote" fighting because they don't give any adverts for it or kudos for it but it does talk about fighting and ratting very seriously because that's where this breed came from. If it weren't for people who fought their dogs and used them in ratting or catchwork etc... The Pit Bull would not exist. When I first got into the breed I was so appauled at the idea but the more I learned about the breed the more I could see it's traits came from those activities. Clear down to the breed's temperment of human lovers and tenacious as all get out....

I hope that makes sense. Some people take those comments badly and to a whole different place than intended. I do not aggree or feel any respect for people who mistreat dogs of any breed doing any activity fighting or dog sled racing or greyhoud racing etc...

Sara

12. Chezza

Chezza New Member

WOW THEY ARE FANTASTIC :eek: :eek: Just Love them..
    That was very great reading, thankyou.
    Yea I know exactly what your saying.. The book I "confiscated" Sorry,I meant from my son, until he is mature enough to know the values and how important you need to be educated on the Pitball Breed.. He wanted the book to show some mates and theres NO way I want them promoted as a "SYMBOL".
    The breed have enough trouble on there own thanks to uneducated idiots out there..
    Its so sad to see the Breed abused and mistreated.
    Theres a show I watch on Animal planet and the show is "FULL" of mistreated, abused, fought Pitballs. Half of them get put to sleep, because its all they knew. People buy them and just neglect them.
    And the saddest thing is, is that they are the most loyal, loving, softess dogs. :(