1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Driftwood allowed in tank

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Mice, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Mice

Mice New Member

i live near the beach and i picked up some driftwood at the beach. what could i do to get every bit of salt, bacteria, or anything inside the wood. give me suggestions and recomendations on putting htis in my 30 gallon tank. thank u

2. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

u can boil it

3. Mice

Mice New Member

will it still be contaminated or will everything in it be gone. and for 32 views and only one reply for crying out loud someone respond and help me.

4. Mice

Mice New Member

will it still be contaminated or will everything in it be gone. and for 32 views and only one reply for crying out loud someone respond and help me.

5. Alasse

Alasse New Member

I've never boiled any (but it is one way to ensure buts are killed)
    A mild solution of bleach is another...scrub the wood with it, rinse well, and sun dry

I have a spare tank i put any 'wild' wood into (mine is from gardens not the sea though, and i only use wood i KNOW is free of pesticides))....i soak it...then sun dry it, soak, dry, ect for about 2 months.

Then i buy a dozen feeder fish and put them in the tank...if they survive just fine, then to me its safe. The wood is then ready to go into my main tanks

6. Mice

Mice New Member

very good idea. i have a spare 10 gallon ill try it. i dont know about the bleach idea but ill definetly try boiling and sundrying repeat. thanks a lot.

7. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

u can also after u soak it put it in the oven and cook it till its dry