1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Feeding Zoe

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by Meg04, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Meg04

Meg04 New Member

I give Zoe dry dog food (IAMS) with a little bit of real food on top because she will not eat unless there is something good on top. I used to give her a little can dog food on top, but now she knows thats not what she wants. Im sure some of you strongly disagree with giving a dog "people" food, but I have a seven year old little girl and its hard to explain this to her so whats done is done. Now I find myself cooking for Zoe. I made her a fried egg this morning to go on top of her dry food. We never give her chicken bones or anything that could possible hurt her, but other than that she eats what we eat. We also ALWAYS give it to her in her bowl rather than from the table. She is about 16 months old and weights 50 pounds so she isn't overweight and she gets plenty of exercise. My questions is, How many of you do the same? If so what kind of food do you feed your dogs. Is it unhealthy for the long term?? Any advice is appriciated. Thanks

Megan

2. Meg04

Meg04 New Member

Need to add - When we first got Zoe she was in a sheltor, abandoned and was very very underweight. That is where the spoiling came in.

3. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Meg,
    Some may strongly disagree with me, but, no there's nothing wrong with feeding your dog human food. In fact, I feed my dog a half natural diet (real food) along with dog food. Dog food doesn't have all the essential oils and vitamins that are good for your dog, and I beleive there is nothing wrong with it, depepnding on how you cook it. You can save the egg shells and crush them up once every 2 weeks to put in with her food, this gives her a boost of calcium. 1 tbsp. of tuna is excellent for dogs (i give 1 per week) mixed with food it has some omega oils that are not found in dog food.

I have joined an excellent group for natural diets, and if you are interested, I can tell you the site. It does cost a little bit more to have a natural diet, but, if like me you do half and half, you won't notice much of a difference in price, but a HUGE difference in your dog. This site has some really great recipes and they are all very healthy.

Just remember to stay away from raisins and onions as they are toxic to dogs. (Yes, dogs have eaten this and lived, but some don't it depends on the dog, better to stay away).

Good Luck, I can PM you the site if interested

4. Meg04

Meg04 New Member

Bully Love 1

Thank you so much for responding to my post and thanks for the advice. I didn't know that about onions and raisins, I will steer clear of that. Thank you. Your dog is so cute. She and Zoe look alike. Zoe is a pit/mix, how about yours? I would love the address to the site you were speaking of. Thanks again

Megan

5. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

HI Meg,
    Harley is an AmStaff Terrier. Go to Yahoo! Groups and in the search bar type in Totally_Home_Cooking. The first site that comes up is the one. Just join that site and enjoy! They have soem great recipes under the files section and you can post any questions you have on there, there are a lot of members and by just reading the previous posts you can learn a lot.

Good luck, and have fun cooking for your dog!

6. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

My Mom and I use to argue about this all the time. I was always searching for the best in dog food and she would always feed her cocker spaniel "people" food and dog food. It was just my Mom and her dog and she treated her dog like a child. The dog would eat pizza, spaghetti, whatever. I told my Mom that she was going to kill her dog. Well, the dog died seven months ago. She was a few months shy of 17yrs old.

7. Meg04

Meg04 New Member

Wow 17 yrs old!! Thats great! That makes me feel better.