1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Fish Aquarium Question Help please

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by txgurl19, Dec 18, 2006.

1. txgurl19

txgurl19 New Member

ok so the lights on the lid of my aquarium went out and I thought it was the bulbs but its not... Where can I get another top??

2. Alasse

Alasse New Member

It may just need another starter...check that too before you go out and buy another top

3. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

Allase is right, replace the starter first. It's usually a good idea to replace the starter when you change the bulb anyway, especially if the bulb was flickering before it quit completely.

The starter is as easy to change as the bulb. Just twist it out, the same way you removed the bulb, and twist in the new one. If you don't know what the starter looks like, it's that little silver cylinder located on the underside of your hood. Sometimes it's under the bulb, sometimes it's not. The starter on my hood is in the center. But it's important that you have exactly the same watt starter as the old one. Take it out and take it to the store to get exactly the same starter.

The other common part that can go bad is the ballast. It's not quite as easy to replace as the bulb or starter, but it's not all that difficult, either.

4. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

you can also check the baliste

5. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Before working on any light UNPLUG IT FROM THE OUTLET. Many of the newer hoods do not have a starter as such. It is built into the switch and the light is lit by holding the switch down for a few seconds and then releasing. These type switches rarely go out. A common problem is corosion on the contacts for the flourscent bulb. You can remove the corosion by rocking the bulb back and forth like you would to remove it. If corosion is not the problem it will most likely be a problem with the ballast. Be sure to match the new ballast with the old one. They are rated by wattage and the number of florescent tubes in the fixture. With the login of txgurl19 I'm assuming you are in Texas. Home Depot carries florescent ballasts which will most likely fit your fixture. If your not sure what type ballast you need you could carry your fixture in and they could match it up for you.