1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

getting rabbit quick question

Discussion in 'All other pets' started by nick_no_11, May 7, 2006.

1. nick_no_11

nick_no_11 New Member

my friend's rabbit had babys and i am going to get one tomorrow :eek: ...i was wondering if a male or female would be better or if they would both be the same, any help would be wonderful!!!! :D

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

If a rabbit is spayed/neutered either sex is a good choice. Unaltered rabbits are another story.

With unaltered rabbits spraying in a common problem, in both males and females. Unaltered rabbits are more prone to biting, growling and lunging (especially unaltered females, typical behaviour of nest guarding) and it's down right frightening to have a rabbit charge at you with full teeth and claws. With an unaltered rabbit, at around four months of age that cute little baby that used to let you cuddle it all the time may not even want to be touched.

If you plan on getting a female I would opt to get her spayed. Simply because it will help to deminish unwanted beahviour, but also because unspayed females run a great risk of dying from uterine cancer by 3 years old when a rabbit can easily live well over 8 years (around 80% of unspayed females develop uterine cancer).

Testicular cancer in males isn't as prevelant as uterine cancer in females, but the numbers have been increasing.

Spaying and neutering also help a rabbit develop good litter box habits. I have an unaltered male rabbit (going in for his neutering soon) and eventhough he has impecable litter box habits, he'll still spray every now and then.

3. nick_no_11

nick_no_11 New Member

thx for help i just got home with my bunny it is a female from wat we can tell will it be ok and be friendly even if she is unspayed??

4. nick_no_11

nick_no_11 New Member

and i still havent got a name for her yet she is honey colored will someone tell me some good girl rabbit names pls?

5. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I would get her spayed regardless, 80% of unspayed rabbits develop uterine cancer which cuts their life considerably short. Once she hits maturity (around 4 months) her hormones will start to kick in, generally females tend to get more aggressive than males. They view their cages as their nest and will try and defend. There's no guarentee that if you have a friendly bunny now it will always be friendly.

In the long run she'll be a happier, more well adjusted rabbit being spayed. If she does develop uterine cancer (provided the cancer is still contained in the uterus) she'll have to be spayed anyway to prevent the cancer from spreading.