1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Good Horse For Large Rider

Discussion in 'Horses - all breeds / types' started by JJiggy33, Jul 12, 2005.

1. JJiggy33

JJiggy33 New Member

Hey all,

I'm just around 6'2'' and weigh about 228lbs. I've been reading alot of info that says that the maximum weight that a horse should carry is 200lbs. That's pretty disapointing for me being that I love riding and want to get back into it, and since my body fat is pretty low and I have muscle mass, it would be difficult and unhealty to drop muscle in order to ride. Do you think at my size it would be harmful to a strong horse like a Quarter? Which breeds do you suggest for someone of my frame? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Personally goriwing up around Quarters and still owning a Quarter and a Quarter cross I would say no.

I know plenty of larger people who ride draft horses and compete in dressage and other things of that sort. Not all drafts are bulky. Irish drafts might be something you would want to look into .

3. someday

someday New Member

As a general rule, the horse should be able to carry 20% of it's weight. This, of course, varies from horses to horse depending on fitness(a 1000 lb horse that is out of shape should carry less than a 1000lb horse who is fit). But that should get you a ballpark guess when choosing a horse. I've seen some large Quarter horses that could carry your weight, but at your height you would probably have an easier time finding a horse that fit your size looking at drafts or draft crosses. Many draft horses are quite athletic and can do a variety of diciplines. I love them, but being 5'0 tall, I look a bit silly on them...but that doesn't stop me. ;)

4. Sorry this is off topic but Someday I LOVE your Avatar lol

5. someday

someday New Member

lol...thanks...my favorite part of the movie!

6. Laura05

Laura05 New Member

I don't know what kind of horse you should get... but with your height I don't think you are to big.

My horse is 16 hands high and I am 5-11. I weigh close to 180. now if you were 4-5 and weighed 200 lbs then I would say you are over weight. I would look for a tall horse with a little bit of bulk. I also don't care for horses that have those little tiny ankles... they look like they could snap at any moment! My girl is a big girl. and she has an attitude! But that is ok because I have a bigger attitude and win all the arguements we have!! LOL

good luck finding your horse! Make sure it is the right one for you before you buy it. Take them all for test rides! You will know when you find the right one.

Happy ridding!! :D

7. horse_child

horse_child New Member

I would definatly look into draft or draft crosses, like a Clysdale (sp???) or a Fjord, i know that Fjords can carry alot of weight, so you won't have a problem there, but they are a bit short.

Laura: I know the feeling, my boy and I can get into some pretty interesting scraps (he's 6 and can act like a 2 year old) I've come close to loosing a few times, but a few more circles and spins usually takes care of the issue, lol