1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Grandma's Cures- does it really work?

Discussion in 'General Topics & Support Issues' started by vene, May 1, 2005.

1. vene

vene New Member

Has anyone ever tried this and it worked? I received this from the TLC e-mail.

2. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Heres an additional one, ground cinnamon if you have ants, they will avoid it like the plague (I think it kills them too if they go into it) but be aware that I found out the hard way that it can stain, I used it in the bathroom along the side of the bath and the white became a rust coloured, however I sprinkled it all along the patio area outside and along the wall of the garage where it backed onto the kitchen, no ants at all, I redo it about once a month.

3. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

Interesting. Wonder if they work? I'll probably never know. :mrgreen:

4. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I've heard (from friends :wink: ) that Gatorade is good for a hangover. But they told me only the red kind :roll: .

I've also found that wasabi is pretty good at clearing my sinus'.

5. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

The Altoids thing is true. Those things are amazing.

My grandmother had a cure I thought was kind of funny. For sore throats she would mix honey and whiskey. I think it is funny b/c she used to give it to my mom alot when she was very little. It explains alot about my family i think.

6. Bente

Bente New Member

lol! :mrgreen:

7. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

Well, I know Gatorade is good for a hang over. I know a few people who use it as a mixer, with vodka or tequila, to avoid getting the hangover in the first place. It doesn't matter what color it is, other than what flavor you happen to like. Hang overs are mostly because of dehydration and electrolyte imbalance, and Gatorade rehydrates you, as well as supplying easily absorbed sugars and salt.

Some old time treatments are making a comeback recently, too. Like leaches and maggots. Some of those old granny cures really did work.

My own granny used a paste of sugar and soap to draw infection from a wound, and it worked a charm.

Cinnamon will lower your blood sugar levels by as much as 30 points! I'm diabetic, and use it to reduce the amount of other medications I must take.

I'd be a little leary of trying Alka Seltzer for a UTI, though. For one thing, it can throw off your blood chemistry if you consume too much. Alka Seltzer is mainly aspirin and bicarbonate of soda. The aspirin could simply mask the pain of a UTI. And a UTI can progress into a serious kidney infection if you don't get rid of the infection.

Also, I would NEVER use a dryer sheet of any kind on an animal. Too many dogs are allergic to the perfumes used in dryer sheets. And definately never on a cat. If doggy odor is a problem, baking soda mixed with corn starch and a few drops of vanilla extract. Sprinkle it on and brush it out.

8. RoWdY

RoWdY New Member

"Cinnamon will lower your blood sugar levels by as much as 30 points! I'm diabetic, and use it to reduce the amount of other medications I must take."

OMG! You won't believe this but I had a man come into the store where I work looking for 'sour pickles' because someone had told him that it lowered blood sugar levels. He was at the end of his rope and didn't want to be on insulin. He asked me if I knew anything that might help to lower it. He said he really hated pickles. :mrgreen:

I looked around online when I got home looking for anything that might help him in case I saw him again and all I could find was a few blurbs about perhaps leafy green vegetables or maybe oranges would do it. I was hoping I could find a first hand recommendation and what do you know?! THANK YOU SHINEILLUSION!!!

How much do you use and how to eat it? Do you put it on food (kinda hard to find lots of things that cinnamon would taste good on) or do you eat it from a spoon or what? (sorry for the stupid questions, I just don't know)

I love this thread.

9. LadyT

LadyT New Member

Yeah some of these work and about drinking Gaterade the red one really works for hangovers. I tried it the other day because I had a bad hangover.