1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Hair Loss

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by lanena322, Apr 7, 2004.

1. lanena322

lanena322 New Member

Hello everyone, its me AGAIN. Lol it seems like everyday I have a new question in regards to my dogs, but to tell you the truth you guys are like the bible on dog care. I wouldnt go anywhere else! :D

Ok, well this is my most recent problem:

Nana, my 4 month old mutt has been losing her hair. And I dont mean just shedding (she does shed a litle) I mean full blown hair loss. When she was about 2-2 1/2 months she started losing the excess hair on her head (I will post before and afters) and now she is losing hair on her lower back. I can see all her mutt spots lol. She only has a thin layer of hair. Our pet shop guy recomended this anti itch spray and we have been putting it on her.

Does anyone know why she is going bald? Thanks!
    I will post pictures

2. lanena322

lanena322 New Member

Before and After

These are head pictures, when the hair loss first started I will try to get pictures of her back this afternoon:

[​IMG]

3. lanena322

lanena322 New Member

Sorry to be such a bother but I have one more question: Does anyone know how much an 8week old golden female should weigh? Laika has gotten really heavy. She came to us weighing much less than Nana and now she is much heavier, Nana is weighing in at about 10 pounds, so I would say Laika weighs 15ish pounds

4. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

This is what my sister said about her Golden female (of course, all dogs are different):

Jamiya

5. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Have you taken her to the vet for the hair loss? It could be numerous things. Allergies? Can dogs get Alopechia? Its a hair loss disease. I knew a girl who had it, not sure if dogs can have it aswell.

6. lanena322

lanena322 New Member

No, we havent taken her to the vet for it. The first time this happened we left it alone and her hair did eventually start to grow back, just not with the frizzy long hair on top like she had when she was younger. Her hair on her head is still growing back, but now its just her back.

I will definately ask my boyfriends mother and see if Nana's mom went through the same thing as a pup.

We are stopping by the pet shop tomorow so they can give Nana her last vaccination so I will ask about vitamins for her coat and skin to see if that helps.

Its only around her lower spine though.

The hair on one of her back legs is still kind of short though but that is from when she got hit by the car, so we are hoping it grows back.

7. lanena322

lanena322 New Member

Jamiya:

Thanks for the reassurance, she is more or less at the last weight you gave. I will get her weighed tomorow just to be sure.

I am probably just being paranoid, this is my first big dog and I am used to having 3pound 8week olds not a 15 pound 8wk old! :)

8. karma

karma New Member

There are several different things that can cause fur loss, but since I see that you're in Puerto Rico where you have that beautiful, warm year-round weather, and the fact that there's loss of hair around the base of the tail, the first thing that comes to my mind is fleas. Is your dog scratching a lot there? Sometimes, even if a dog doesn't actually harbor fleas, getting bitten by one can start a vicious cycle of scratching, more itching, and hair/fur loss.

We see a lot of this base-of-tail hair loss and itching in the summer where I live. And it's my understanding that anything that causes a dog to itch can be a set-up for the abovementioned cycle. Could be allergies, something growing that he has a sensitivity to, as well as, I'm told, food allergies. This current loss of hair may or may not be related to the former head hair loss, of course.

Because there are many possible reasons, before spending a lot of money on over-the-counter 'treatments', I would definitely see a vet. At the least, the vet will probably be able to rule some of the possibilities out. Good luck and let us know what you find out. :)

9. raindigger

raindigger New Member

I agree with karma. Fleas, allergies, possibly mites (mange). It's off to the vet you go.....

10. lanena322

lanena322 New Member

Hello everyone, I have some updates to make: I took Nana to the vet, and it is exactly what we though. Fleas, not mange (whew). She doesnt actually have fleas at the moment but both of these bald spells were caused by fleas. It really does make sense. When we first got her, she had fleas. Even after the fleas were completely gone she kept up the scratching, biting, etc. And a few weeks ago she was infested again, after a play date. Well she is up to her usual scratching, the vet gave us an even stronger anti itch spray, hope this works!

11. karma

karma New Member

Man, I'll bet you have some monster-sized fleas there in PR. I've seen Florida fleas; they're twice the size of the fleas here in the northeast.

12. lanena322

lanena322 New Member

You are definately right, fleas are much bigger here for some unknown reason t (to me). Every buggy, rodent thing is much bigger here than anywhere else, which as a new resident to Puerto Rico it creeps me out. I mean, I have seen roaches in Connecticut and New York and the biggest ones havent even reached the half inch mark (more or less). But the roaches here are huge! I mean, picture a ver small chihuahua next to a great dane. thats what roaches here are like...lol

13. klf

klf New Member

My mom showed dogs and useto buy this stuff, a cream that is safe that helps hair growth...i e-ed her to find out what it is. as soon as i find out i'll let you know!

14. Shady_Babygurl

Shady_Babygurl New Member

I have a hair loss question now lolol......I have a 1 yr old chihuahua that I got around Dec 12th of last year. He head has always seemd to be bald on top but I just assumed it was because he is a apple head Chihuahua with a large top head. He had very little hair on his chest/neck area as well but his previous owner kept a bandana around his neck so I took it as the cause. Jack is nowstarting to have thinner hair on his back, but mainly when he wears his jackets and shirts I have custom made for him. He doesnt have fleas, doesnt have mange, but Im clueless as to what is causing his thin hair. Ill post a pic, hard to really SEE it but Ill try.....

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0WwDfAm0b ... 1459293006

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. klf

klf New Member

My mom said it is pro grow. Try petedge.com you should be able to get something to help new growth!

as for the other puppy he should go to the vet...thyroids and other medical problems can cause this if you already know it is not mange or other paracites.