1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Harry the Dog

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by MyPetTherapyDog, Apr 12, 2004.

1. MyPetTherapyDog

MyPetTherapyDog New Member

:(
    I am a volunteer with the West Warwick Volunteer Services for Animals.

A few weeks ago, a concerned West Warwick Police Officer found an emaciated, dehydrated dog on East Main Street, West Warwick, RI.

He realized the dog was not in good health, so he immediately got out of his cruiser and went over to help the dog.
    The dog was weak and staggering. The police officer knew that this dog needed urgent care so he put him inside of his police cruiser and drove him to the animal shelter. I think it was fate that a compassionate police officer helped save the life of a "German Shepherd Police Dog."
    I am still trying to obtain the name and badge number of the police officer so he can get properly thanked for his heroic efforts.

the West Warwick Volunteer Services for Animals Coordinator was available to help out and intercept with immediate care and medical treatment.
    After the five day hold was up, she was on a mission to save this little gentleman. She was willing to do whatever it takes to get him healthy, happy and finally adopted to his forever home.

She gave him an appropriate name "Hairless Harry." It turns out that "Hairless Harry" was a pedigree "Hairless German Shepherd dog.
    She took him to the veterinarians for medical treatment. By looking at his teeth, the vet told her that Harry was approximately 24 months old. Many viles of blood were taken to rule out kidney failure, liver failure, thyroid problems etc.. A skin biopsy was done on him because over eighty percent of his fur was missing.
    God was with Harry and thankfully, everything came back negative. Harry's first and foremost problem was malnutrition and dehydration. The vet thought that this was an intentional cruelty act because everything medically was fine. There should have been NO REASON AT ALL FOR THIS TO HAVE HAPPENED!!! EXCEPT CRUELTY!!!!

Between the heroic actions of the considerate police officer, and the VSA's attention, Harry was now on his way to a new beginning.

I have been working with Volunteer Services for Animals for three years now. When the coordinator first called me and told me about "Hairless Harry" my heart sank. I wanted to help out in any way I could.

Harry is currently being fostered under my direct care at a farm house animal santuary.

I received Harry on Saturday, April 4th 2004.
    He has so much love to give and I also saw a glimmer of hope in his eyes.

Off we went to the old farm house with so much to offer for Harry's new life!

Harry was overjoyed to find out that he now had his own agility rink to romp and play in. He also has a lot of land to walk and currently enjoys a serene setting.

When Harry saw the dog agility rink, he was a little timid of the dog jumps but with coaxing, he started enjoying agility and began jumping and frolicking.
    Harry loves to run and play ball.
    The first thing I needed to do for Harry was to get his nutritional needs under control. He also was drinking buckets of water but I did not immediately see him urinate much. This concerned me.

I started searching the Internet for sites on dog emaciation. I was able to get much needed information from this web site.
    http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/recovery.html

I ordered "Wellness" dry puppy food and also purchased baby food vegetables to add to his food.
    He has a ferocious appetite.
    I am giving him 4 small feedings daily.

Harry thrives on the love and attention and certainly has spunk and charm! He also adores children. Harry knows Sit and Paw.
    Every day, Harry and I go out on day trips. He loves to go to the park and take long walks on the beach.
    He has made many friends at the local donut shops and fast food restaurants.
    Everyone LOVES HARRY.
    Today, I decided to contact my groomer .
    I told her about Harry and his special needs. (His nails were triple the length they should have been)
    She was MORE THAN WILLING TO HELP OUT HARRY!!!
    She said as long as I could prove that he had nothing contagious to the other animals, by all means Harry was welcomed for pampering.
    They treat the animals like they would treat one of their own. When I picked Harry up, he looked much better. Harry was wearing a pretty blue ribbon. I know Harry enjoys all the attention!

I posted Harry up on a rescue site named "Odd Dog Rescue. (You can check out the site with pictures of Harry that my son took! )

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action ... &preview=1

Harry is getting better by the day but will need extensive medical treatment to get to the point where he is available for his forever home.

West Warwick VSA is currently taking donations to help with Harry's continued care.

Any checks can be sent to:
    West Warwick VSA
    PO Box 56
    West Warwick, RI 02893

We also need "Wellness dry dog food" (puppy if available)
    Dog bones and treats are an added plus! (Please contact Harry's caregiver directly for food, coat, and other donations that are not monetary. E-mail Susan @ MyPetTherapyDog@aol.com)

Harry and all the volunteers are grateful for for outpour of help from all the concerned animal lovers.

I will continue to write about Harry and everyone can follow his sad beginning to a hopeful HAPPY ENDING.
    Please feel free to contact Harry's care taker Susan Parker at 401-823-8851 or E-mail MyPettherapyDog@aol.com for more Harry information!!!
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Mrs. Susan M. Parker & Harry the Dog

2. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Susan, Its nice to hear from you again.I was wondering where you had been hiding. :wink:
    Seems like you have been busy. I saw Harry, he is going to look quite handsome when he is all taken care of. Please keep us updated on his recovery.