1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

HELP ME FINCH PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by plumb03, Jun 30, 2005.

1. plumb03

plumb03 New Member

HELP! how do you tell a male zebra finch from a female is it the cheek color? the male is orange the female is not. :!:

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

A normal Gray Male, Fawn Male, Will Have orange cheek patches.

The other way to tell is the beak the males will have a bright red beak the females will have an orange beak.

What colours are your finch's.

Mike

3. plumb03

plumb03 New Member

i have a normal male with orange cheeks the a finch with no cheek and i think the color is fawn and white, also it has no "tear" marking and the the beak is pinkish

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Your normal grey is male as normal grey females do not have orange patches.

Fawn females do not have cheek patches same with female pieds.
    The brighter the beak colour also indicates a male lighter the red/orange indicates either a young finch or female.

Here is a website with pictures on of some male and female finch's

http://www.birdshelpline.bravehost.com/Finches.html

Mike

5. plumb03

plumb03 New Member

all im saying is that it has a pinkish beak and fawn colored

6. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Finch's do not have a pinkish beak, young finch's have a pale coloured beak but that is chicks under 12weeks old.

Mike

7. plumb03

plumb03 New Member

i do not know how old it is but it has a different call then the male and a tiny bit smaller then him too.

8. plumb03

plumb03 New Member

the call sounds like a cricket and i mean the finch is biggerthen the male .

9. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

The females are usually larger than the males.

The males make a 2 tone sound where the females make a quieter and more of a 1 tone song.

The female when wanting to breed with sit on the perch almost flat and stick her tail in the air while making her sounds.

Mike

10. plumb03

plumb03 New Member

here's a discription to help you more. the finch is fawn and white no orange cheeks and the color of the beak and the are like a paleinsh pink and when it cherps it sounds almost like a cricket and bigger then the male.also when the male chirps the finch joins i and at night they sit right next to each other and sometimes sit by each other during the day. so they are always by each other 50% of the time and the other half they are eating drinking or chirping alone . :love_y_t_much:

11. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Here is 2 pictures first is of a Fawn Pair the second is of a Pied Female hope these help you out...
    If the pics dont come up right click on the red cross and click on show picture and it should come up....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mike

12. plumb03

plumb03 New Member

the second picture looks like the one finch but it has a lighter color :m23: d beak

13. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

then u have a fawn pied female.
    If it was a male you would notice orange on the cheeks..

Mike

14. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

In which case, she will probably start laying eggs any day now. You might want to decide what you're going to do - let them raise a clutch, take the eggs out, discourage them from laying more, etc. Zebras would lay eggs on the moon if they had nowhere else to go, LOL.

15. plumb03

plumb03 New Member

but the finch i have has a lighter colored beak is she still a female and i have only had them only two days but they were in the same cage at the pet store :shock:

16. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Finch's are prolific breeders as jamiya says they will lay anywhere they think is an ideal nesting site.

They cant start breeding as young as 12 weeks old so even if this bird is still young chances are she may alreaded have bred either in the petstore or within the last 2days.

So now is the time to decide wether your willing to allow them to raise a family which most of the time is not succesful or put them in seperated cages placed next to eat other.

Mike

17. plumb03

plumb03 New Member

they were not bred in the pet store. all i want to know if she is still a female even though her beak is lighter and also if the finch i thinck is a girl keep checkincg the nest caus out of the two she is the only one that look in it???????????????????????????? also the only markings the finch is missing is the tear and cheek and i dont know what a flank is :|

18. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

A flank is the part under the wings if you look on ur normal gray it will be like an orange colour with white spots.

If the birds were kept in the same cage in the petstore then chances are they have bred, Also you should never get 2 birds from the same petstore as you have no way of knowing if they are related to each other.

Chances are you have a female as from what you described and from you saying she looks like the second picture then its for sure female some finch's do not get the tear marks.

usually only the white finch's you cant tell the males from the females apart from the beak which is bright red for a male and a light orange for the female....

I can not understand how you can say she has a pinkish beak as this is not possible even a very young finch does not have a pink beak.
    A pale orange maybe but not pink.

The males are usually first to investigate the nest as they are the nest builders only when he has the nest built the way he wants will the female lay eggs in it

Mike

19. plumb03

plumb03 New Member

no my bird doesn't have a pink beak but like a light tan and the birds are deffinetly not related because the bird has absoulutely not been bred so i have a male and female, and to help them get started with their nest should i put the nesting materieal in there?????? :cool_dance: :0020:

20. plumb03

plumb03 New Member

i am sure she has not been bred and the guy said they haven't and the beak color is a light tan not pink sry:( and the female keeps looking in the nest and should i help the get started with their nest ior what should i do

don't get a pet just to get one