1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

HELP ME FINCH PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by plumb03, Jun 30, 2005.

1. plumb03

plumb03 New Member

i am sure she has not been bred and the guy said they haven't and the beak color is a light tan not pink sry:( and the female keeps looking in the nest and should i help the get started with their nest ior what should i do ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

don't get a pet just to get one

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Zebra Finch's do not have a tan coloured beak its either bright red or orange. Take a look at these pictures one is of a fawn male and female look at the difference in colour of there beaks.

The second is of normal grey male and female again look at the colour of there beak..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The males have a red beak females have an orange beak..

Just because the birds have not been bred does not mean they have not come from the same breeder and same parents.

Example... say i sold 2 zebra finch's to a petstore that were male then a few weeks later i went back with 4 more finch's that were female and both the males and females came from the same parents then they are related and should not be bred together as this can cause deformed chicks.

mike

3. plumb03

plumb03 New Member

oh thanks i will ask the pet store if they are related ???????

4. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

If the bird does not have the orange cheeks and is not all white, then it is a female! Why do you want them to breed? What are you going to do with the babies?

Your best bet is to take the eggs out if she lays any. Take it out as soon as you find it and boil it. Let it cool, then put it back. Do this with every egg she lays. She will either throw it out of the nest, or sit on them for a few weeks until she gets bored and then you can take them out.

Don't give them a nest, and put their food dishes low in the cage to discourage laying in the food dishes.

Zebras are VERY prolific and if you let them, they will constantly have a clutch of eggs to raise. You certainly can't sell the babies for much, and you can't keep them all, and you shouldn't let any of the babies breed because they are related so you would have to separate them by sex...

Just don't do it.

5. plumb03

plumb03 New Member

i am absolutley not going to boil their eggs!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all i want to know is if my finch is a girl or boy the one os a normal zebra with orange cheeks and the other one is white no cheeks or tear marks and also it has brown patches the beak is not dark orange or light orange it's like a pinkinsh taninsh orange???????????????????????????? please just tell me if it's a boy or girl......OK......................

6. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

you have a female finch
    you will need to seperate them since you have no idea how old they are, and no idea if they are related to each other.

If she does lay eggs you will have to boil them otherwise if they are related then these eggs if they hatch will have deformed chicks that will die.

Mike

7. plumb03

plumb03 New Member

but my birds look nothing alike how do i find out is they are alike and what do you mean disformed :|

8. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

They do not need to look alie to be related i have one pair of finchs that produce normal gray chicks and the parents are Albino.
    My normal grays have produced fawn babies.

So actually knowing if they are related is hard thats why if buying from a petstore you never buy 2 birds from the same store as you have no way of knowing if they are related to each other.

When i say they will have deformed babies i mean they could be born with wings missing, Legs missing, No beak, things like that.

So my advice to you as a breeder of birds seperate these 2 and if you are wanting to breed then get another male and female and place them in with the finch's you alread have,

So get a new female for the male you already have and a new male for the female you already have.

Mike

9. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

If you boil the eggs as soon as you find them, the baby has not started to develop yet. It's hard to make yourself do it, but it is better for the bird. Zebras will lay eggs continuously if you let them, and it is very hard on the female's body.

10. plumb03

plumb03 New Member

thanx for the info but, the guy at the store said he wasn't sure..... how do you tell if they r related.... and how long does it take after i get the birds for them to breed???????

11. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

You have no way of knowing if they are related but 99.9% of birds in petstores are related.

Finch's breed straight away when they feel happy.

If you are going to breed like i mentioned earlier i would get another pair from a different petstore or breeder and then put your male with a new female and your female with another male this will reduce the chances of them being related.

Finch's are prolific breeders and can become ill very quickly if they are allowed to produce alot of eggs and raise alot of chicks.

Mike

12. plumb03

plumb03 New Member

thanks 4 your help