1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Help wanted with jealous horse!

Discussion in 'Horses - all breeds / types' started by Bic, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Bic

Bic New Member

Hi,
    I currently have 3 horses. 1. Thoroughbred, Bay Gelding. 2. Thoroughbred Chesnut Gelding. 3. Standardbred Black Gelding. The bay i have had the longest and he is boss of the paddock. The chesnut we have had for approx 6 months, the black we have had for 2 days. The bay will not accept the new horse, we have tried to introduce them slowely but he will not have a bar of him. He is very protective of the chesnut and when in the same paddock he will always be in between them and will scare the black one away and round the chesnut away to another side of the paddock. If I take the bay out for a ride he is almost unriddable now as he carries on as the other two horses are left in the paddock together. If the bay and the black are in paddock together alone, they are fine but as soon as the chesnuts in the picture he gets nasty. I want them to live together as I dont want to worried every hour that he is gonna hurt the black one (he is a real baby and has not challenged the bays authority) Any suggestions??? The bay was gelded late (when he was 8yrs old) i dont know if thats why he's so protective?
    Help needed urgently!! THANKS!

2. OTTB lvr

OTTB lvr New Member

If you've only had the black for a couple days, give it a bit more time. Some horses will take longer to make sure it's sunk in that they're number 1, and will chase and herd the lower horses for quite some time. One of our boarders has a grey who's top, and to this day, he'll chase around horses who've been there almost as long as he has (as well as the new horses) if he feels they're in his space. For the meantime, if you're concerned about leaving them out together while you're away and unable to keep an eye on them, you may want to turn the black out in a separate paddock, or the ring or something.

The last barn I was at, the alpha gelding ran new guys around quite viciously, for almost a month before he accepted them. So there's hope! Good luck :)

3. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

You need more time. Try turning the horses out one at a time and not all together at the same moment. Try putting the bay up and allowing the newbie and the other time out to get to know each other. you need to expect, running, striking, kicking and rough housing. This is how they determine the pecking order. After these two get along for a few days, Put him up and turn the bay out alone with the newbie for a few days. THen you can allow them out all together. They will run, you'll have scrapes and bite marks. Its all natural. 2days is not enough to evealuate the issue.

4. Bic

Bic New Member

Thanks for Your Suggestions

G'day from down under!

Thanks for your suggestions. I am going to give them a go. I did jump the gun a bit, getting worried a bit too soon!! I have been seperating them and letting two out together at a time. Just a bit worried as I have never seen my bay (Tulloch) act like this before and as it affects him to the point when he is unrideable when I take him out I was concerned.The black one (Jasper) is such a softie and I felt bad seeing him excluded also. Thanks again!

5. horses93

horses93 New Member

horses

you can't make two horses like each other. it might take some time . but for now i would keep them away from each other or one might kill the other.

6. lanena322

lanena322 New Member

Ok, I dont mean to be argumentative but I disagree completely with this. 2 days is not enough time to say that the horses hate eachother. they do need to be together in order to start getting along, i highly doubt they will 'kill eachother'. Unless you see serious agression and fighting, I wouldnt seperate them, its natural for the horse who has been there longer to bully the new one in order to establish the pecking order.

I have had a Paso Fino gelding and stallion and at first the stallion did 'pick on him' but just until he was reassured that he was still boss.

Now I have 2 stallions (a cremello paso fino and a grey arabian cross) and they are ok with eachother just mostly keep there distance. This summer we are getting a paso fino mare and we will have to divide the field up and keep the arabian separated since they will fight over the mare.

7. Bic

Bic New Member

Update on Jealous Horse!!

Hi Guys,

I thought I would give you a bit of an update. My bay thoroughbred(Tulloch) has settled down quite alot. I have been rotating the horses together 2 at a time, one day I will have the black and the bay together, the next day I will have the black and the chestnut together. The bay has really settled down, when he is seperated from the other two, instead of pacing up and down his paddock for most of the day glaring over the fence he will graze and walk about the paddock. I still would say he is not too fond of my black horse but he is not as aggressive. I am going to keep rotating them for the rest of the week, then I will give them a trial all together (Watching them closely!) and hopefuly things will go much better! The black is definately last in the pecking order at the moment!!

Thanks for your suggestions!!!

8. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Most submissive horse will remain at the low end of the pecking order. If you bring another horse home, its almost a guarentee he will be first to challeng it.

Give them time and let us know what happens.

Oh and a tip for riding with new horses: Put each horse on opposite ends. always have a horse in the middle, and DO NOT allow any misbehavior. Also, allow the new horse to walk in FRONT of the bay, this will show him that he's not boss under saddle.

9. Bic

Bic New Member

Thanks a million

Hi guys,

These horses are doing wonderfully now! It took acouple of kicks and some hair removing bites!! but I think they have settled down all together now. thanks for your help! You might be able to help me with some suggestions for my black horse. He is still a bit green under the saddle (he was a harness racing horse and i dont think he was ever properly broken into saddle when he finished racing) He is very touchy under the saddle, he wont stand still when you stop him or when you mount him also when riding him if you pat him on his neck or touch his rump or back he sort of jumps like he's surprised that something has touched him? Any suggesttions? Maybe a bit more ground work?
    thanks heaps!