1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

help with multipoo pup

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by tobi'smom, Dec 31, 2007.

1. tobi'smom

tobi'smom New Member

We just got a multipoo pup for Christmas. We already love him! He was 10 weeks old when we got him. He is smart and already learned to sit and going outdoors most of the time- here is my problem - he growls and tries to nip at us at times. I have never experienced this with other puppies. I am so afraid he will grow up mean. We say no in a firm voice but it is not helping. Any ideas would be appreciated. [/b]

2. rosesmom

rosesmom New Member

I know that you have to try and offer a substitute to chew on when they do that. Keep a toy close to hand and give that to him when you scold him. Atleast it's worth trying.

3. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

When is it when he growls and nips at you? Is he protecting a toy or food or chew toy? Are you startling him? Use praise when you go up to him and he is good, just say no in a firm manner when he does and then ignore him. Establish where he ranks in your pack...... Dogs are pack animals and maybe he is asserting himself higher up in the pack.
    Good luck keep us posted.

4. Chezza

Chezza New Member

All pups go thru this period..He is feeling where he belongs in the family, as HDrydr said they are pack animals..

My thoughts maybe is say no to him when he does it, clap your hands maybe or high pitch whistle to get his attention, when he stops and listens say good boy, if he continues maybe separate him from you for a short period of time, as they don't like to be separated, see how that goes.

5. maoui

maoui New Member

Maltipoo require a lot of attention and time. They are really dependent dogs that need guidance and discipline from their master.
    If you do spend the time and energy they require, you will be reward with a grateful dog that will show you his ability and talent.
    My maltipoo is now one year old, but I got him when he was only 6 weeks old, and I put him right then in obedience class. We graduate 4 classes so far and at the end of each class, he earn the first place price easily far from the second place winner, I know he is smart and he has the talent to be trainned.
    But I had to spend a great deal of time with him to accomplish that.
    I also had to give him play time where he was not require to work or obey, and of course a lot of affection to furfill his need.
    Believe me there is nothing you can't do with your maltipoo, they are the smartest dog I ever seen ( and I had a lot of dogs )
    If you feel like talking some more about your dog, I'll be more that happy to share with you.
    If you have an email adress, we could exchange pictures of our dogs.
    Hoping to talk to you soon.
    Manon
    P.S. : Sorry, if my english is not perfect, this is not my usual language, I am French.