1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

How do I get my new Parakeets to Trust me?

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by Ashly0507, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Ashly0507

Ashly0507 New Member

I have had my two parakeets for about 2.5 weeks. They seem to be well adjusted, chirping away and are all over the place. I would like to let them out to have a little "free" time, but they still run from me and i am afraid i wont be able to get them back in their cage without grabbing them which i know is a big no no. Is it still to early?

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

It is still a little early on for them to trust you fully.
    Find out what there favourite treat is and also try and get hold of a clicker used to train dogs....

You need to use the clicker at the exact time the bird does what you ask, Start little like calling them to the front of the cage speak slowly and gently when they come to the front click and reward witha treat...

The other option is by placing your hand inside the cage away from the bird and hold it there for a few minutes then slowly move towards them, stop and hold, then after a few minutes try getting a little closer...

Keep doing this until you can gently rub there chest without them flying off.
    Once this is achieved you can go onto step up which will learn the bird to step onto your hand...

Mike