1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

how do you get rid of ringworm

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by HDrydr, Nov 6, 2009.

1. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

So Chloe while at the shelter came into contact with an animal that had ringworm... She may be gone but I just noticed a round spot not a ring all roundish that is red kinda scabby, no hair on Chopper this am.....He played with her while she was alive....
    My fear is that it is very contagious to all of us.....Chopper plays hard with Zoe, Chopper plays hard with Harley, Chopper grooms Buster, Chopper sleeps next to both of us.... Can you see the sprial of infection...... :cry:
    I have a call into the vet waiting for them to call me back. I hope Choppers hair grows back it is right on his right shoulder blade area....He's got such a beautiful coat!!!
    ugggggg......

2. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Here is poor Chopper. He is on treatment for ringworm, he is on antibiotics 2 times a day for 10 days, cream for the lesion 2 times a day for 30 days and come Monday when the shampoo gets in he will be getting a bath once a week for 4 weeks. We also have to clean the carpets everyday, any towels that he has been laying on everyday. And the sheets every couple of days since he sleeps there at night. Oh and we have to spray things down with a disinfectant to help keep the other 3 and us from getting this lovely gift......And keeping them all from playing with him while he is contagious....

He hates his collar but is getting used to it...good thing it will be on him for a long time.
    [​IMG]

Poor guy.....
    [​IMG]

3. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

poor kitty...I know many fosters who have had ringworm issues. Lucky so far I haven't had to deal with it but it's not as common in the northeast

4. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

It is a bit of a pain in the you know what...... :lol: Chopper is getting better his lesion looks better everyday!! It is barely red and only a tiny spot that is still scabby...... I clean it with warm water and dry it well 2 times a day when I put the ointment on, that seems to help get the scabby stuff off for the ointment to get in there good. I'm sure the antibiotics 2 times a day help alot too.....

He has gotten quite the personality going with all of this!!! He is feeling better you can tell! :mrgreen: He goes anywhere he wants and is somewhat disobedient in a funny way..... Knowing that no-one wants to touch him to remove him from where-ever he may be....... It is quite funny watching him attempt to pounce or sneak up on the others......Only because his cone gets in the way.....

Here is one of his disobedient moments..... (He actually is yawning....)
    [​IMG]

Just funny he is hanging out both ends....
    [​IMG]

He just wants to be loved........
    [​IMG]

5. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. Sorry you are all having to deal with ringworm. Those are cute pictures though. :mrgreen: I know how much animals hate those darn cones. I remember many moons ago when I had three foster kittens. After the male had minor surgery he wore a cone and each time he went to eat a bunch of food would fall into his cone. So the two other kittens would chase after him trying to eat the food that was still in there.
    Hang in there and I hope nobody else gets ringworm.

6. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Well Chopper's one spot has gotten worse I wonder if it got worse because he was only on 10 days of the antibiotics??? Plus he got another spot on his front left leg.... poor guy!! I had 3 more days of antibiotics left over so I put him back on it to see if the spots get smaller. He see's the vet on Sunday for a recheck so we'll see.

I hope he heals up quick.... He is still wearing the cone of shame.... :cry:

7. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Ah, poor guy. Let us know what the vet said. He's going to be one happy camper when that darn cone comes off!

8. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

he looks like a sweetheart

9. vene

vene New Member

Awwww. He's still a cutie pie. Big hugs and hang in there!

10. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Thanks guys Chopper is a cutie despite his cone.... You can tell he is very tired of the cone!! It does look like the spot has gotten better now back on antibiotics good thing our appointment is on Sunday because I run out of them tonight. I know the spots bug him he tries to lick them and scratch at them poor guy maybe they can give me something to help with the irritation. I give him what I call kitty downers when he goes crazy trying to get at them....but don't really like giving him them.
    Speaking of Chopper time to clean him up and med time.....

11. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Well...... We went to the vet and Chopper's ringworm is still going strong!!

He now has a secondary infection that's not helping things. No wonder he is soo unhappy and irritated!!

Sooooo with 2 spots now the back and the leg that are now nicely shaved to be more visible and open to the meds...... He is back on 14 days of antibiotics, 2 medicated bathing's a week now, a new med that comes in tomorrow for a month I think.... it's on a week then off then on then off..... and to top it off for the irritation and inflammation a low dose of steroids for 5 days until some of the irritation goes away, to hopefully calm him down without having to give him pain meds or sedatives.

We also took the others Harley and Zoe in to have cultures done to see if they have it and we don't know. Buster so far is ok and from what they said cat to healthy dog is not comon. So needless to say the ringworm infested household is continuing our disinfecting regimen.....

oh what fun!!! :shock: ok not really....... :shock:

12. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Well the treatment is working Chopper is doing better and even better yet we were able to remove the cone of shame!!!! His skin is not red and irritated anymore thank you meds!! So he is leaving it alone!! He is sooooooo happy not to be wearing that cone anymore. He will be on meds for another month for the ringworm but it is looking great! his hair is coming back and all the scabs are gone.
    horray!!!!

13. vene

vene New Member

Awesome news! :eek:

14. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Well Chopper is still getting better which is such great news....He is on this week of meds then off next week then 1 more week on then he is done with all the meds for the ringworm..... And the vet called yesterday saying that all the cultures on all of my furbabies came back negative for any growth!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Almost ringworm free!!! how long has it been?????? Don't recall but I do know way tooooooo looooonnnnngggg.....

15. Kenimet

Kenimet New Member

Glad your kitty is doing better. People can contact ringworm from cats. I have been there done that, got the hat, tee shirt and key fob, but would do it all over again because I ended up with the most wonderful sweet and intelligent cat I have ever seen.

I just followed my Vet's instruction on meds, bathing and creams for her and all was healed in abput 3 weeks. Good work and good luck.

Mike

16. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

It took 2 1/2 months ish....but Chopper did recover his hair grew back and he is more tolerant than he ever was..... we did have to bathe him everyday, creams, pills then liquid..... He had it on his shoulder blade and front foot...
    No-one else contracted it I have 2 other cats and one was a kitten..... we had to vacuum everyday, clean sheets and towels where he would lay....disinfected with bleach all over I sprayed the litter box down all the time...... Zoe was only 3 months old when Chopper had it and I couldn't keep them apart they played hard together...cant believe she didn't get it!!! we didn't get it and it doesn't cross to dogs so Buster was fine..... It was a learning experience to ask more questions if adopting!!!
    I hope I never have to do that again!!!