1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I got new pet finches, but.......

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by NickSter7715, Aug 15, 2006.

1. NickSter7715

NickSter7715 New Member

:?: I'm Nicole, and I'm new to this whole site. I just got 2 new pet finches, they're both boys and they get along great. They hop around their cage and chirp all the time, so they're very happy birds. I've given them a couple of days to get used to their new cage. Now, I want to be able to take them out and play with them. I don't want to get bittin because of scaring them or something, so I'm not really sure how to do it. :? People have told me that I have to clip their wings before I start taming them, but I don't want to do that. Can anyone give me some tips on how to start taming my birds? :wink:

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi and welcome, Finches are a species that do not really like being handle and can die from shock if you try, So i would recommend not trying i used to breed finches and found them to be the most stubborn of birds.

They have great personalities and are fun to watch but like i say when it comes to handling them its not going to happen, When mine had chicks i even tried handling them all the time to try and get them hand tame but it just never happens.

Mike

3. NickSter7715

NickSter7715 New Member

thanks mike. Even if I did handle them, I'd probably have to get their wings clipped, and I DO NOT want to do that. So.....I'll just buy them new toys now and then and talk to them. they can still be fun pets.
    thanks again =]

4. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Yea Id agree there with Mike, they are very very timid birds and fright easily.. I'd would tend not to handle them..

5. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Finches are great fun and give hours of laughter with there little antics, They seem to like to entertain there owners all the time.

Mike

6. TheNeff

TheNeff New Member

Hi,

I've had four finches for many months now, and I've learned that they go nuts over green leaves, especially lettuce.

DON'T overfeed them though, they'll get diarhhea. But a small piece every week or so seems to have done no harm. Just hold it through the bars of the cage and be patient!

My point is, that two of them, both male zebras, are now so used to me feeding them through the bars of the cage, that I can actually stick my hand just into the cage and they'll eat the leaf from their perch! I doubt I'll be able to get them to perch on my hand, but I'll let you know if they change their mind!

Anyway, I hope you have fun with them!
    The Neff

7. Zeppy`s mom

Zeppy`s mom New Member

I have read somewhere that finches don`t like to be handled very much , but if you want a bird that you can play with then get a parakeet or love bird.