1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I still can't get her to eat properly, what else can i do

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by Fagan, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Fagan

Fagan New Member

My ringneck has to be the fussiest bird on this planet when i comes to feeding her. I have tried absolutely everything to try and get her to change her diet, (I believe it's not that healthy), she eats nothing but these white sunflower seeds. I have tried mixing other types of foods with her seeds, but she just throws the other food on the floor and then eats the seeds. I've tried leaving the seeds out and all she does is throw the food around anyway. I give her fruit but she only nibbles on this and throws it on the floor. I've tried eggs, she take about 2 mouth fulls and leaves it, i've tried oats, I think i have tried about everything, even her mineral blocks just don't do it for her. I'm worried she might be lacking important vitamins. What are the signs of a bird that isn't doing to good. Her feathers are nice(she's molting at the moment) she's perky, chatty and is all over my home. Am i neurotic??

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Sounds like she is not unhealthy.

Signs of a sick bird.

Dull brittle feathers.
    Sitting fluffed up either on the floor or the corner of a perch.
    Looking sleepy all the time.
    Not eating or drinking.
    Quiet change of behaviour e.g vocal bird becomes quiet, a big eater stops eating.

Sunflowers are high fats so she getting something.
    What i do is just put normal seed in the cage nothing else and leave that for 24hours they soon eat it. Or you can hang millet spray in and all birds seem to love that.

If they dont eat it then you can get treats here are some links of the things i mean.

http://www.naturechest.com/pineconetreats.html

http://www.naturechest.com/avicakes.html

http://www.naturechest.com/grainolatreat.html

Hope this helps.

Mike

3. Fagan

Fagan New Member

Vet says bird is obese

Hi
    I took my ringneck to an avarian vet, who informed me that she is obese, and that i should stop the white sunflower seeds as they are bad for her (apparently no different to the black). She is such a fussy eater, and I have made numerous attempts to get her to try other foods. She also told me that a bird will starve themselves. Is this true? If so what now, i have spent 2 years trying to tempt her to eat some other kinds of food, but she will only try once and then goes back to the seeds. I am at my wits end with her, i really don't want her to have problems because of me. Does ANYONE out there know what the ideal weight of this type of bird should be? She is an Indian Ringneck about 39 months old.

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Doves should be slim, If they are round like the shape of a ball then they are overweight.

What i would do and have done with my birds is remove the sunflower seeds last thing at night and only place a dish of whatever you want her eating in the cage that way you will know if she has been eating them either during the night or early morning, Leave this in her cage for a couple of hours during the day and see how she goes, I would not leave it in for longer than 24hours, Like i said in my other post you can hang millet spray seed in the cage and she will probably eat that but again becareful as this is full of fats aswell.

If this method does not work then there is not much more you can do as she will only want her sunflower seeds and all you can do there is reduce how much she gets per day.

Sorry i could not be of more help.

Mike