1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I THINK ANNIE IS DYING! HELP! PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by blondeandbeautiful2003, Oct 15, 2005.

1. My 3 month old pitbull, Annie, is sick and i'm not sure what it is. I'm thinking its either parvovirus or distemper virus. I'm hopeing its niether of those and its just a stomach bug but from the symptoms thats not very likely.
    :cry:
    I noticed a couple of days ago that she threw up something that was brown and watery. I figured she either was trying to eat grass and got alot of mud with it, or she was eating her own crap. Either way I was getting worried cuz the rest of the night she seemed depressed. She wouldnt eat ANYTHING. (I thought it might have been because we changed her food but that wasnt it because we gave her the kind she was used to and she still wont eat it.) She hadnt thrown up anymore that day so I didnt think too much of it. I figured maybe she just has a tummy ache.
    Well, I woke up this morning and found that she had thrown up a watery substance. I let her outside for a little bit in case she needed to throw up some more, or go to the bathroom. She still wouldnt eat anything but she was drinking plenty. When I went back out there to call her inside it took her a few seconds to even realize I was calling her. Usually she is extremely responsive and will come to the door immediatley. She slowly got up and looked as they she could fall at any moment. She had no energy, her legs were trembling, and she looked at me like she didnt know what was going on. I carried her inside and the only thing that got her tail wagging was me rubbing on her tummy.
    When Jonathon came home I told him what was going on and he started calling his parents and friends to see if we could find anything out. His mom just told us to keep an eye on her and to feed her pedialyte and that its probably just a bug. She threw up a few more times after he got home and right before Jon went to sleep we noticed a very foul smelling pinkish liquid by the bed where annie was laying. We thought it was vomit but then we noticed blood from her backside.
    This has all happened within a 24 hour span and I'm panicing. I dont even know where to start! Neither of us have any money to take her to the vet! I was just recently laid off from my job so Jon is paying all the bills. My parents arent any better off then I am so them helping is out of the question! I'm so scared of whats going on inside her helpless little body! I've been crying all night, I cant sleep, thats why I'm on here. I've been researching everything and anything I can find. But I'm not a vet and I cant diagnose her. Those symptoms are common with everything.
    In short here is a list of the symptoms again:
    not eating
    dehydrated
    vomiting water
    depressed
    weak
    unresponsive
    skin and bones
    blood in fecies (sp?)
    another question/comment.
    I also read somewhere and I've heard it several times that when an animal knows its going to die soon it will go to a secluded, dark place. Is that true? Annie keeps going either in the closet to sleep or lay and under the bed. She always sleeps in the bed and by the closet but the closet is always open. Today it was almost completely shut and that is where she was laying. If her symptoms are this bad already is she even gonna make it through the night?
    If anyone has any home remedy ideas, or has had an experience like this PLEASE help me :!: I am a 20 year old college girl who loves animals and cant bare to lose another one, especially without doing something about it :!: I feel so helpless. she is just laying in there in who knows how much pain. And I cant do anything about it. I just recently lost one of my childhood cats, patches, and I dont want to lose another! I've only had her for a month but I am already so attached! I love her, shes a family member! Please if anyone has any ideas or comments please feel free to say something

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Your pup really needs to see a vet ASAP without full flood and stool work there is noway of knowing what could be casuing this problem and the sooner your find out the cause the sooner she can be treated.

Leaving it too late will result in usually a bad ending.
    Yes i believe it to be true that animals goto a dark secluded place to die so i would suggest getting her to the vets ASAP.

Mike

3. MyPetTherapyDog

MyPetTherapyDog New Member

Yes, you need to take the dog to the vets.

Myabe the vets office can get you onto a payment plan? Once you establish a relationship with your vet, most will let you do payments on your bill.
    Either way, you have a responsibility to get the puppy to the vets if she is not any better. Because I too believe she could die on you.

In some cases, many vets will let you relinquish your dog to them and they will give it the care it needs and then re-home the pup when better.
    The vet my daughter works for does that all the time for folks.

I hope by the time I have posted this you already did and she is on her way to recovery.

Good luck to you and your puppy.

4. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

If you think your dog is dying get off the computer and go to a vet. If you can't afford to take your dying dog to a vet, then you shouldn't have one. It is that simple.

A vet would probably work out a payment plan with you. If not, then take the dog to a shelter/rescue and let them handle it. You may have to surrender the dog but at least the dog would be alive.

5. Maraya

Maraya New Member

take your baby to the vet immediately - and keep us all posted.......(maybe you already have...i haven't read the entire thread yet).

6. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Ditto to what everyone is saying, what your describing sounds like parvo (but those symptoms cover many things) just going by your pups age.....Pits are in the higher risk group of dogs that dont do well (generally) fighting off parvo.....even if its not parvo it sounds critical.
    I know how you feel about the money situation, Ive seen it more times than enough....Ive also seen people call every friend and acquaintance they have and get the money together within 20 minutes or so.

I hope your pup is now with a vet and is getting the treatment and testing it needs. :(

7. thanks everyone for your advice

Thanks for all of ur support and ideas. We ended up just bringing her to a shelter to see how they could help her. That was a great idea about the payments plans. I thought about that too but i'm already in so much debt that would just make it worse. I did bring her to a good place that would do everything they could. I really dont know what condition she is in right now. I guess now i'm just leaving it in gods hands.

The reason I didnt take her to the vet when i was on the computer is because it was like 4 am in the morning and nothing is open around here. I've always been an animal love and I've always had pets. I understand what you are saying about if you dont have the money then dont get an animal but how was I supposed to know I would lose my job that I had had for 3 years? It wasnt just some selfish thing on my part. I know you all are animal lovers and care about animals. But i'm sure y'all also understand things do happen. I loved that dog and I wish I could have seen her grow up into a beautiful pitbull/lab. She was black with a little red tint in the sun, white paws, a part white belly, and big chocolate eyes. awww. i'm gonna miss her.

please keep her in ur prayers that they can help her. A family friend told us that without help she would have died in like a week after suffereing tremendously. She wasnt in that much pain yet so hopefully there is still hope. [-o<

8. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Sorry you had to give Annie up but it sounds as though you did the best you could in a bad situation. I cant speak for anyone else but I can tell you there have been times were only for the fact that Ive worked in animal hospitals was I able to save one of my pets or get them the treatment they needed.
    In an ideal world we would all have a couple of thousand dollars sitting in a bank that we could use for emergencies :(

I really wish the US had an organization like the PDSA in UK, then money doesnt have to be a factor were the pets health is concerned.

Hope she pulls through.

9. boditosabear

boditosabear New Member

sorry annie and you had to go through that. It is easy for everyone to judge from a computer screen. You did the right thing and obviously love annie. Once i was in the city with my now deceased mastiff harpua when a homeless pregenant pittbull bite her lower ear off. i drove all over the city vets office none one would help why? because i did not have the 400 dollar cash money on me and no one wanted to trust that i would pay. I left the last clinic and hysterically was going to assault or force a vet physically to fix my dog, when a nice trusting vet across the street calmed me down and trusted me to pay. the world is a messed up place and moral to all these stories in not to pre judge others.

10. tuttifrutti

tuttifrutti New Member

after reading your post boditos, you have to wonder why some people are vets. if people are just in it for the money, espeically medical people like doctors, nurses, and vets, they shouldn't be in it at all. people in those lines of work should be willing to help whether or not pay is gauranteed (sp?), or they should accept pay in ways that aren't always monetary, like time, someone cleaning your house or mowing your lawn or something, if you get what im saying.

11. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

While I do hate the fact that money is often an issue, I really wish it wasnt but in defense of vets, the last hospital I worked at, the only emergency hospital open on weekends and nights in the area almost closed down 3 times due to people promising to pay but then never actually paying.

As a tech, the pay is much lower than it should be, I and my co-workers went for 3 years without so much as a cost of living raise, no health benefits, no sick pay or vacation pay....I worked hours off the clock and as well as 70 hours on the clock every week not being unusual, its hard to get good staff when you can make more working at Wal-Mart or somewhere, I adopted and found homes for injured or sick pets that were 'dumped' on us, there was plenty of 'free' services done there, Ive seen other vet hospitals go under because they were 'very generous' with their services (meaning they had been ripped off over and over but felt so bad for people and their pets they kept providing basically free services.....), I worked with vets during the night that were exhausted after working all day at other practices because the vet pay was so low that we couldnt hire anyone when we needed to.

We used to offer payment plans to anyone who didnt have the means to pay up front but had to stop, to the point were even checks were not accepted because too many of them would bounce.

If anyone is to blame then its the people that have not paid back what they owed and not the vets or their staff and I can assure you that most vets and techs I know are not in this line of work for the 'fantastic pay, benefits and luxurious retirement fund', but we have families and financial responsibilities and need to survive just like everybody else.

12. tuttifrutti

tuttifrutti New Member

I don't mean that vets and vet clinics should run themselves into debt and bankruptcy helping people, they need to be honest saying "we really can't afford to help you right now" or whatever, but they do need to perhaps make some material sacrifices. Maybe they're clinic isn't as nice or new as they want it (I don't mean they should totally let it get disgusting and old, but they also don't need a professional decorator to come in and make their facility look nice). My family used to go to a nice, convenient vet about 5 min from our house, but they were expensive, and seemed more like this was simply a paying job than a job they chose because of their love for animals. we swithced vets, they're a little further, but they are cheaper because they don't have a brand new facility like the other vet, and they don't have their own lab, they also seem to truly love the animals and are very gentle, you can tell they chose this job because they love the animals and not simply for the money.

13. boditosabear

boditosabear New Member

hey delauk thanck you for showing the other side of the coin. it helps to truely understand the sitsuation