1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

is i posable to have a fish in with a pirahna

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by nick_no_11, May 31, 2005.

1. nick_no_11

nick_no_11 New Member

is i posable to have a fish in with a pirahna and not get killed???

2. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I could be wrong, but not to my present knowledge and the examples that I know are way too risky so it is probaly best I not mention them.

3. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

i agree with nameless, its too risky. but it all depends upon the tnak size too.

4. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

other then other pirahna's i wouldn't

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Ditto. The only thing I'd keep with piranhas (specifically red bellied piranhas) is other piranhas. And for that you're going to need at least a 100 gallon tank.

-Chelle

6. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Also in some cases you can't even mix piranha species. Like in the case of black Piranhas you definietly can not mix them with other fish or not even other piranhas!

7. CrazyTat2dChick420

CrazyTat2dChick420 New Member

I have a red belly Pirahna and anything live or dead I put with him he eats. Now I was wondering if since Pacu's are from the same family line can I put a Pacu with a Pirahna?

8. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Not unless you have a huge aquarium. A Pacu need about 300+ gallons.

9. CrazyTat2dChick420

Okay, say I do...will they get along or will one kill the other? My Piahna is about 3" right now and the pacu I was thinking of buying is about 1.5"

10. M_wm

M_wm New Member

No, thats the easest answer. If you dont want the fish to die dont put it with a Piranha.

11. CrazyTat2dChick420

Thank you for the info I will just get another tank for the Pacu

12. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I suggest not getting a pacu unless you can have a 1000+ gallon tank. Yes, 300 is sufficient for one, but they do best in groups so you'd need to keep at least 3 of them to keep them from getting really stressed out. They also grow very quickly so even you got some small ones, you'd have to be upgrading tanks every few months until you got up to the huge, massive tank. And that can get extremely expensive.

60cm = 23"
    [​IMG]

(that's a 10" red devil)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pacu are only suitable for the wild and large public aquariums.

13. ajc3198ll

ajc3198ll New Member

Pirahnas can coexist with other fish

from my experience it is possible to raise red bellies with plecos, i have a red belly pirahna in a tank with a giant pleco, and an emperor pleco. he doesn't touch either, but if i put any other kind of fish in there they get the crap kicked out of them.

14. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Ive heard of Piranhas living with plecos for almost 1 year and all the sudden the owner wakes up one morning with a dead Pleco.BUT on the other hand a guy on my site keeps his Piranha with Neons, black neons, and rosy barbs, Ill post the link fi i have permission its really cool :y_the_best:

15. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Go ahead and post a link.

I'd like to point out though that if these are single rbp's that are being kept with these other fish, they're probably not killing the other fish because they're stressed out and shy from being a lone shoaling fish.

-Chelle

16. M_wm

M_wm New Member