1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Is it ok to remove a nest after the first clutch...

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by bejuled, Sep 15, 2007.

1. bejuled

bejuled New Member

I have a pair of zebra finches...Purchased them through a petsmart on August 12. I did add a nest, but I really don't want them to breed. We've got the first clutch now, but I've removed the eggs, as of today...4th egg. Hopefully I didn't freak out Dean and Ruth. However, should I simply remove the nest to prevent further breeding?? I know they like to roost. Will it stress them out if I leave the nest and then pull out the eggs, or would I be better off just to remove the nest. It's a good size cage for a pair (24x15) and it has several perches (one is up near the top) Thank you!

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi, you should not remove the eggs as this can cause them to lay more eggs to replace the ones taken and this can cause serious problems.

Its best to either remove the eggs and replace with fake ones you can get from most good petstores or take them from the nest place them in the freezer for a couple of hours then allow them to warm back to room temp before placing them back in the nest.
    Mark each one with a number so you know which ones you have done.

Removing the nest should stop them laying as finch's do not like nesting on a cage floor.
    Reducing the amount of light they get a day, and turning the temp down will make them think its winter and usually they stop laying..

Mike