1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Itchy Itchy Itchy and more Itchy

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by noggin, Jul 2, 2004.

1. noggin

noggin New Member

Help! My name is Todd. A beautiful 2 year old Pug by the name of Noggin lives with me. He doesnt own me and I don't own him - we live together and love one another very much.

Noggin has a very severe itching problem. This itching problem consumes both of us all the time every day. To learn more about this I have researched and monitor the following: He has been to the vet regularly. He has been expressed when needed. I check him for needed expression of the anal sacs and rarely find a necessity to do so. I have noticed what looks like mosquito bites around his hind area and legs. He only has a few. I'm not sure what has bit him there. I get these small bites too. We live in Florida and mosquitos are quite heavy during the summer months naturally. These newly discovered bites seem to be the crux of his severe itching. He wants scratched all the time every day. It has put a damper on our relationship. There is no more play! He'll get one of his toys to get my attention and as soon as I join him on the floor, he throws his rear around for me to scratch it!!!!

I give him benedril capsules - doesnt do a thing. I have put Cortisone creme on these bites and couldn't really tell if it worked or not,, it seemed to help somewhat, not clear enough though.

HELP -- Any recommendations for topocal skin treatments? Any successful ointments or medicaitons that relieve itching in Pugs. I truly need something THAT WORKS! Please help me releave Noggin's severe itching. Thank you so much for your time and help!!! Noggin thanks you too.

ALSO - I use a repellant on him when we walk. I hate that stuff. It smells horrible, very toxic smelling and makes him smelll like a chemical dump for hours. Regular usage of this product has me concerned. Do I limit walking him?

Todd & Noggin

2. dbuzzw

dbuzzw New Member

Advantage?

Hi Todd and Noggin. Welcome to the board.

I'm not sure if this will work, but what about Advantage Plus? Or Frontline Plus? Don't these topical treatments also keep mosquitos (and other bugs besides fleas) away? I know they do more than the non-plus products.

Good luck!

Diane in Houston

3. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I just got a mag yesterday that has a natural mosquito powder for dogs. I will see I can remember to post on on Tuesday. oDo yo have things liek chiggers? that could be , I snoggin scratching the bites or all over. It could also be a food allergy. or does this only happen seasonal

honeybear

4. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

:eek: A very warm WELCOME to Todd and Noggin!!! :eek:

Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure what to tell you in regards to what topical skin treatments would releive Noggin's itching, there's GOTTA' be something out there that works though! Of course, you could always call your vet's office and see what they might have to say. (As a frequent visitor of Florida, I know exactly what you mean by the mosquitos...they're TERRIBLE!!!)

As far as the repellent, if the repellent is designed for humans, no, I wouldn't use it on Noggin! Although I am not familiar with such products, I know they do make mosquito repellent for dogs. It'd be a shame for you to have to cut back on his walks knowing how much dogs usually love going on walks! I'd suggest going online to a major search engine and typing in a search for mosquito repellent for dogs. (That is if your vet doesn't know of any.)

What I find odd is the fact that the bites are concentrated on his hind legs and bum...I wonder why only there?!?! :0011:

I also thought maybe allergies, but like honeybears said, if the itching is seasonal then probably not. (Or, could it be grass allergies?) :-#

He doesn't unknowingly sit in any ant piles, does he? They'll definitley bite and cause itching!

Sorry I'm not of much help, I don't have too much experience in this area...I really hope you find something that'll relieve the little guy's itching!!! :D

(**Also, you may want to post this question on the "All Dogs Forum" here on AusPet and see if they have any ideas for you...they're a pretty knowledgeable group over there! :y_the_best: )

5. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Welcome to the board, Noggin and Dad!!

Noggin... please inform your father that he must post a picture of you in order for us to answer his posts! :)

(hehe... just kidding!! but we sure do love to see pics of everyone's babies)

6. noggin

noggin New Member

THANK YOU ALL, from Noggin and me!!

I have tried a variety of the Frontline products. Just recently, I called customer support on the back of the Seargent's Flea, Tic and Mosquito repellant drops and asked them about it. Currently I am applying it MORE frequently than directed - not overdosing on it as directed though.

I believe he has some alllergies. Unfortunately right now, being in between jobs, I can't afford the blood work for testing. ALSO I was told by other pug owners NOT to use drugs to control allergies. These people have mentioned long term side effects of the sterroids they use to control allergies in dogs. Things like - The sterroids will crystalize and gather in the joints of the dog causing arthritis later in life. They mentioned that we do not have the ability to safely control allergies in dogs yet. -- true???

THE VET?? Yes, yes been asking them for over a year now with no real advise from them.

Thanks
    Todd & Noggin

7. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Great pic of noggin in your avatar, todd!! Gotta love those close up - tongue out - pics!!! Thanks for sharing.... he looks adorable!

8. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Ditto!!! :y_the_best:

:D

9. noggin

noggin New Member

Noggin says thank you!

Thanks MonsterBailey!! Yours too! You can hear the laughter and fun going on in that picture!!!

MyBabyShihPoo - As for the bug bites being localized to his hind quarters, I would believe that its because his fur is much thinner around there, a lot of exposed skin....

Thanks for the warm welcomes! I was so glad to find this board, all the beautiful dogs and people here. So many kind people have complimented Noggin - as you all experience as well,,,, and I can't take credit for such a beautiful being, - Noggin would say "thank you!" and then he would immediately jump all over you and just kiss you silly. He'll be 2 on the 21st. He knows how to sit, shake, lie down, and just recently - rollover! He's wonderful!!! He also knows how to kiss, and when asked, he kisses with just his lips, as you or I would give someone a "peck on the cheek."

He's a big pug topping out at a whopping 32lbs!!! If he was one of us, he'd be a line backer for the NFL! We just managed to drop a pound, and need to do another 2 or 3,,,,, not too fast though.

Thanks again for all the warmth

10. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

You're right, that very well could be true! I'm slightly perplexed by the whole thing, so your guess is as good as mine (well, if I had one that is :wink: )!

He's just a young, and obviously a bright, little fellow!!! Great job noggin for learning those commands/tricks, and great job to you for teaching him all that! :y_the_best:

LOL...But hey, kudos to you for working on helping him lose some of the weight!!! :-k

:D

11. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Hey!!! I'm impressed on the fact that he kisses with just his lips!!! We tried that with Bailey.... and well, let's just say.... ummm... nevermind, let's not just say.... LOL =;

12. Juana Chavez

Juana Chavez New Member

Why dont you use Sulfodene .R the bottle here runs about for two bucks My peke had these weird sores on her belly and tail and she would bite at them,Scratch, you name it and that product made them go away. The vets didnt even know what it was they just told me to keep the area clean and one of these bright Fine ladies recomended it to me. It problably might relief some of the itchies he has :) :)

Hopefully I can help but otherwise im clueless good luck on the itchies and wish ya the best :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

P.s. thats a really cute pup im a fan of the flat faced breeds :y_the_best: :y_the_best: