1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Just a stupid question about ticks

Discussion in 'Horses - all breeds / types' started by lil96, Apr 19, 2005.

1. lil96

lil96 New Member

I recently thought about how dogs, cats, deer and a few other animals get ticks and fleas. Do horses and cows get them too and people don't talk about it? Or are ticks repulsed by soemthing in their blood? I just never hear people talk about that stuff.
    thanks!

2. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

As far as I know, horses and cows don't get fleas. They can get ticks, though. I don't think people talk about it because they don't realize they're there. Deer ticks, for example, are so tiny they're hard to find on a human. I can't imagine trying to find them on a horse.

3. hummingbird1994

hummingbird1994 New Member

We had a horse get ticks in their ears once. The ears were just full of ticks, hard to get out.

4. lil96

lil96 New Member

but with dogs everyone is always trying to get the tick off and make sure to get the head out and all that stuff, is that just because people are vain and want to take them off the dog? bc if they are ok on horses and naturally fall out whay can't they do that to dogs, or is it that horses can lose enough blood to satisfy a tick? Do the horses not catch the tick borne illnesses? It has just bbeen one of those things on my mind lately. Thanks!!

5. horse_child

horse_child New Member

Horses can get ticks and fleas. Horses that go to winter pastures usually are covered in fleas in the spring, because of the deer that they hang out with. Horses can get tick borne disease, though it seems to be alot less likely than a dog because they are so much bigger. I don't worry about getting the head out of my horse. I'll just spray a bit of fly spray on them and then wait about 20 seconds, then pull them out. If the head comes out, great, if not, it will fall out in a few days. I will keep track of the spot that the tick was on to see if there are any reactions to it.

6. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

I think the #1 reason people are so concerned about removing ticks from their dogs is because they don't want a hatch of hungry little ticks in their house! Most people don't bring their horses inside the house, and I think a lot of people aren't aware that horses can get ticks in the first place.