1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Kitty won't eat- very sick

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Catguy, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Catguy

Catguy New Member

:cry: My cat (about 10 months old) was diagnosed with an upper respitory infection, medication was prescribed. The problem is he won't eat because his nose is all stuffed up, etc. It's been 2 days, I've tried canned food with fish, garlic, nothing works. He seems as though he wants to eat but he just can't due to his runny nose and congestion. Any advice? Thanks alot.

2. faeriedust1127

faeriedust1127 New Member

You can try steaming him to help break up the gunk in his nose so he can sneeze it out. The easiest way to do that is if you have a humidifier then put your cat in a carrier and put it next to the humidifier and drape a towel over it to keep the steam in the carrier. Just make sure you leave some holes for ventilation. You can also try a regular saline nasal spray. NOT the medicated kind, just plain saline.

For food enhancement, you can try picking up some of those Dried Bonito flakes that are sold in pet stores as a cat treat. They are super stinky and I have had success with them in the past. Also try just plain tuna. I've even gone so far as putting catnip on their food to get them to eat. Just don't give up. Baby food sometimes works too. The best way to do it is put several different types of food onto a plate in very tiny little piles so that you can actually see any lick marks if he tries anything so you can see what he wants. You can also try dried shrimp. If your local grocery stores sell it, Badia makes little $0.49 bags of dried shrimp sold in the spice section. My cat loves em as treats and they stink pretty good too. Good luck! Keep trying and make sure you keep track of how much, how often he eats and call your vet if nothing changes cuz you don't want him going too long without food.

3. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Is he still drinking? Is he dehydrated? If so you should take him back to the vet, 2 days is a long time for a kitten tpo go without food. Another thing you culd try is syringe/force feeding him.

4. Catguy

Catguy New Member

He's drinking, but very little. The vet expects the medication to kick in soon. I'll try some of these suggestions. Thank you for the help.

5. Catguy

Catguy New Member

Good news. After a bath and a steam, kitty decided to eat again and the medication seems to be kicking in. He's much better now, thanks again for the suggestions. :D

6. Bente

Bente New Member

Great news :eek: Do you have any pics of your kitty?