1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Litter training a Bunny

Discussion in 'All other pets' started by darkrabbit213, Aug 13, 2005.

1. darkrabbit213

darkrabbit213 New Member

I've been trying to litter train my 3 month old Bunny ever since I got her, but she still poops wherever she wants. The tips I've got so far have been to put a little hay in the box so they can munch when they go and to get the litter box to smell like a litter box. Well, I've been scooping the poops she leaves other places into the litter box to get it to smell like a... litter box. But no matter how much buildup there is in the box she still doesn't get it. I never actually see her going to reward her if she does it right but I also don't see her going anywhere else so I can show her what to properly do. I've been using "All Pet Pine" in the litter box, should I try something else or am I doing something wrong?

2. sakura.seppun

sakura.seppun New Member

Try using Yesterday's News litter. Get the kind for cats, its the exact same as the rabbit and ferret brands, just cheaper.
    I was having trouble litter training my ferrets. I switched them to Yesterday's news and suddenly they're just getting it.
    Also you shouldn't use wood chips for your bunny for any reason. You might accidently give her respitory problems.

3. Bente

Bente New Member

I'm having the same problem with my bunny Knøtte. At first I used a cat clumping litter (left overs from Kyrres litter box days) but turned out it was scented and mixed with the bunny pee it smelled horrible :? So now I just use the same bedding as in the rest of the cage (wood shavings) and I've blaced the litter box in the corner he usually goes. He'll pee in that corner, but he still poos everywhere :roll: But when he is running around in the house, he doesn't poo much. semms like he prefers to wait until he is back in the cage. Lucky me :D
    Even if the litterbox isn't working quite as planned it makes it so much easier to clean the cage. I just change the box every day, and the rest of the cage every oter/third day. If you have access to a strangers poo (a bunny that is) you could try placing that in her litter box. It worked for me, at least for a little while. Until he got used to the other bunnys scent.

4. darkrabbit213

darkrabbit213 New Member

I had to restrict Pixy to a certain part of my apartment, (she kept getting onto my bed and pooping all over it... recently she peed on my bed and it was a huge pee. It went through three layers of blankets, part of a pillow and right into the mattress.) As for her cage, she doesn't have a corner that she goes in. She either goes right in the middle or near her food (gross).

Thanks for the info, Sakura.Seppun, I'm going to try Yesterday's News, and maybe she is allergic to the pine bedding. I'm going to try "Carefresh" I've heard good things about it. Maybe Pixy is trying to send me a message by peeing and pooping on my bed? "Hey Mom! This bedding and litter stinks!" :roll: .

Sadly, I don't have access to anyone else's poo, Bente. I think I read that you got Knøtte not to long ago? Do you let him have free run of your house or is it limited to a room? I let Pixy have immediate freedom, then I read about "giving your rabbit too much freedom too soon" and thought this might be the problem. Do you (or anyone) know anything about this? Should I be confining Pixy to her cage more and trying to re-train her?

5. Bente

Bente New Member

It's been almost two monts since I got Knøtte, so hes pretty new to this household :) I'm too scared to let him roam the house, hes such a chewer and we've got lots of electrical wires everwyhere. What I do is that I keep him in his cage and then let him have free access to the bathroom and most of the bedroom at least two hours every day. The time he is out of his cage he doesn't poo that much and he never pees. Seems like he prefers to go in the cage. But the chewing is driving me mad though :roll: He has made huge marks in the lists (?) on the door frame, even when I provide him with branches to chew on.. How is Pixy on that area?

6. sakura.seppun

sakura.seppun New Member

Carefresh is a good bedding, I think your bunny would be much happier with that than the wood. And, if you enjoy such things, it now comes in colors! Yay! It can be like easter year round for you. ^.^

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/litter.html#litter
    That is a good link to any litter training questions you may have. The Yesterdays News litter that I'm trying to get you on is compressed newspaper. It's recycled so its good for the enviroment too.

Good luck to you

7. darkrabbit213

darkrabbit213 New Member

Sakura.Seppun, I've seen the colors! And it is an eyecatcher! Haha, I want to buy a thing of every color and mix them!

Another thing I was thinking of trying involving the Carefresh- I read that Bunnies see the colors White, Green and Blue the best, I was thinking I could put say, green in the litter box ontop of the litter, and blue in the rest of the cage, and maybe when I move the poop from the blue to the green she'll realize, "oh the poop goes in the green section not the blue section" ... Do bunnies think like that??? It's worth a shot I guess.

Bente, I also have that problem with Pixy! She has a countless number of toys and chews but she is always more interested in everything else- chairs, my piano, the door, the walls, her cage bars, window sills, you name it! (She also seems to like to get into my dirty laundry basket and chew up my clothes). Pixy and Knøtte could probably have a great time chewing on things together! :mrgreen:

8. Bente

Bente New Member

I bet they would! :mrgreen: Pixy sounds like a sweetheart! :D