1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Lost cockatiel, replace or release the other?

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by Mr Floppy, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Mr Floppy

Mr Floppy New Member

I've had a pair of cockatiels for around 2 years. Around 3 months ago a freak gust of wind knocked over the cage and the female flew away. The male calls out throughout the day but there is not a sign of the female for 3 months. Mind you, I dont spend all day on the roof with binoculars looking for her.

It was also winter when she flew away. Its now spring and I'm hoping that she might come back as she nested last year and produced eggs. I think the female was quite spooked by the cage toppling over but I'm still hoping. I think the two birds also bonded. They did preen each other occasionally but the female was also a little aggressive towards the male at times too. They have produced eggs but were not successful in getting any to hatch.

I was thinking of releasing him but that might not be good for a domesticated bird especially since there are much bigger birds around like very aggressive magpies that are currently nesting too. I do have a friend who is going to visit his inlaws in South Australia. He might be able to take the male with him and release him closer to where the wild ones are found but I have a concern that he might not be able to integrate back into tiel society, and its a very very long drive.

Anyway, if she doesnt come back, when can I get another female to replace her? Would I have to find a bird of similar age? I'd rather find another bird to replace her but what if they dont get along? I dont care if they dont mate, I'd just like to give the guy a little company.

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

I am sorry to hear about your female, Personally i wouldhave to say someone may have picked her up or because she is domesticated she may not know how to survive in the wild.

I have replaced a mate for my cockatiels before and aslong as you get another female there should be no problems.
    The one thing you will have to remember is if you get a new one, Place her in a cage of her own for 30days just to make sure she has no illnesses.

Place the cage within eye view of your male but not close, they will start calling out to each other and this will help them decided if they gonna get on.
    After 30days you could make sure all doors and windows are closed and allow both birds out in a room together a couple times a day to see how they get on...

I would not release him out in the wild as he may not survive...

Mike

3. Mr Floppy

Mr Floppy New Member

Thanks Mike.

Yeah, you're right. I don't think releasing him back into the wild is a good idea. I hope someone has picked up the female. Its a tough world out there for a domesticated bird. Cats aside, the magpies get aggressive during spring and then theres the snakes in summer.

Thanks for the advice. I would have put them in the same cage straight away so I'm glad you mentioned that.