1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Malit-Poo's and Grooming/Tear stains

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by Boo's Mommy, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Boo's Mommy

Boo's Mommy New Member

I did all the grooming on my late Schnauzer. But the coat on Boo is different. His hair his much liner and silker. I want to also tell you what im looking for as in grooming. I need suggestions. Do you think I should let a groomer groom him because of the thin hair. I'm afraid of doin it actually I would hate to get it to short.

This year our grass is in bad shape some is dead and crumbly and it loves to stick to him. He was groomed just 5 days ago 2 1/2 inches long but still his hair is to long to brush it out the grass tangles in it and makes it a stuggle each time he comes in. Would 1/2 to 3/4 inch be to short and cause him to burn? I would like to find out because my other dog had thicker hair and I really didnt have this problem. I dont want him to burn or be deprived from outdoor activities.

Also he has tear stains his hairs around his eyes has been kept short, hasnt really felt wet around his eyes, He has reddish dyed hair around his eyes anything speical I can do to make him look cleaner around the eyes?

2. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

I'd probably go with a one inch all over clip. It's long enough to provide protection from the sun, but short enough for easy up-keep.

One groomer's trick you can try is to sprinkle corn starch based baby powder on him before you brush him. The corn starch will help mats and debris brush out much easier. And it will give his coat a wee bit more body, and make it look fuller.

The staining around his eyes will be a little trickier to deal with. First have your vet check his eyes to be sure there's nothing wrong, like extra eye lashes growing inside the eye lids. If there's nothing wrong that way, there are some simple things you can try to remedy the problem.

1. Give him bottled water. The minerals in tap water can sometimes cause the staining, especially if your tap water has a lot of iron in it. Some people also say that adding a llittle lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to the water helps.

2. Check the ingredient list on the foods you're feeding him. Avoid artificial coloring and beet pulp.

3. Ask your vet if it's ok to give him Tums antacid tablets, and what dosage would be appropriate.

4. Get him a blueberry facial scrub. There are several blueberry facials on the market, Spa Lavish makes one, and South Bark Dog Wash makes a really good one. They aren't cheap, but they do work. You may be able to pick this up from a groomer, or you can order them. They also eliminate that sour smell some dogs can have around their face and ears.

You can also try OxyFresh. This is another product you'd purchase from a groomer, and is probably more readily available than the blueberry scrubs.

There are some other products on the market that you add to the dog's diet. They're an antibiotic, and they do work. I don't like using antibiotic products for a purely cosmetic problem.