1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Maltepoo Dog Food Advice

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by goober3516, Apr 13, 2006.

1. goober3516

goober3516 New Member

Greetings and salutations, I need some advice in finding the best food for my maltepoo Benny. I've had Benny for about 7 months and I noticed that his skin is getting dry. I started feeding him Nutro Max Small Bites and then switched him to Pro Plan small Breed and now I am currently feeding him Bil Jac. Have any of you had experience with the following brands: Healthywise, Innova, Nature's variety or Eukanuba small Breed. Benny was neglected in his old home and he was being feed Alpo. When I first got him he used to vomit a lot and his stool was very large and once I switched him to a better quality food he rarely vomits and his stool is small and firm. The only concern that I have now is that his skin is dry. I am starting to give him fish oil pills in order to reduce the dryness. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. madeline

madeline New Member

I dont know how old you dog is, mine is only 8 months and on Royal Canine 33, which she seems to tolerate well and has lovely skin. I have a 9 lb poodle also, he is 13 and has suffered with dry skin in the past but the groomer and myself pinned down that was mostly caused by his yearly shots, now I only give them to him every two to three years and his skin is much better.

3. nern

nern New Member

I've had really good experience with Innova. The small breed dogs that I know seem to do really well on this food. Several of my friends and family members use it on their little dogs.

4. myshihpoo

myshihpoo New Member

My shihpoos are on Eukanuba Puppy (for small breeds) and Natural Balance. I fed Bailey Nutro as a puppy, then Eukanuba, and he's been on Natural Balance for about a year... and it's been fabulous. It's a great product! and the best part is it's for all life stages, so even the puppy can eat it. (I don't prefer him to, since the kibble is too big)... but you might want to look into the Natural balance. :)

5. goober3516

goober3516 New Member

Thanks for the information. BTW what brand of Innova are your currently using or tried in the past? Any experience with the EVO formula? Thanks.

6. nern

nern New Member

The regular Innova is what I've used in the past. I've only ever tried a sample of the EVO. My dogs were very excited over the samples but at the time it was not available locally so I never did try it.

7. rogandnor

rogandnor New Member

maltipoo dog food advice

\

Hi,

I am curious how often do you bathe your pet? It is not good to bathe often, maybe once a month. The food 'Eukanuba' should be fine. The vet suggested that one for my dog also although I give mine the Nature's Recipe. It has chicken in it and poo's love their chicken. The fish oil is a good idea as long as it is the prescribed amount by the vet. If you keep changin the food, it might not help his situation with the itchy skin. My maltipoo has had itchy skin in the past and now with the amino acids, it has subsided quite a bit. She only itches once in while normal stuff. Keep the ears clean with the rinse. Mites can spread and cause the itching also, chek for ticks. Is she eating anything else that might cause allergy reaction to itching possibly? Well, I hope these things help. I also give my girl the Pet Tinic which is vitamins they vitally need for the the things they may not get in their foods.

bi bi (-:

8. goober3516

goober3516 New Member

Re: maltipoo dog food advice

Hi,

I am curious how often do you bathe your pet? It is not good to bathe often, maybe once a month. The food 'Eukanuba' should be fine. The vet suggested that one for my dog also although I give mine the Nature's Recipe. It has chicken in it and poo's love their chicken. The fish oil is a good idea as long as it is the prescribed amount by the vet. If you keep changin the food, it might not help his situation with the itchy skin. My maltipoo has had itchy skin in the past and now with the amino acids, it has subsided quite a bit. She only itches once in while normal stuff. Keep the ears clean with the rinse. Mites can spread and cause the itching also, chek for ticks. Is she eating anything else that might cause allergy reaction to itching possibly? Well, I hope these things help. I also give my girl the Pet Tinic which is vitamins they vitally need for the the things they may not get in their foods.

bi bi (-:

I bathe my dog approximately twice a month and brush his fur everyday. I am not sure if Frontline could also be the cause of dry skin so I might change his flea prevention medication. I also clean his ears out using cotton balls with an ear cleaning solution after each bath. From the online research that I am doing, most of it correlates nutrition with skin and coat appearance. I also have a 3 yr old greyhound and from the time we got her to now her skin is soft and shiny. I currently feed my greyhound Blue Buffalo Large Breed. The reason I selected Bil Jac for my maltepoo was because the sales rep informed me that the food is easier to digest and it also contains a large amount of chicken compared to other products. I am hoping that the fish oil pills will do the trick.