1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

metal eatin springer mix

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by ladys*ribbit, Apr 9, 2005.

1. ladys*ribbit

ladys*ribbit New Member

:?: hay i really could use some advize on by baby.
    she is a springer begal mix and has quite the fancy for metal.
    she is always geeting in to things she has no buisness getting in to, funny thnig is she knows she isn't. i'll catch her on the table getting spoons and she looks at me and lays down and i tell her to go to bed and she stays there til her time is up. she eats poony tail holders,ear rings, key chains, she pulls nails out of the carpet, digs safty pins and push pins out of places i never even knew the where. i need some advice of why anyone things she does this.

( i changed her food to iams, vets orders, and her itching has slowed but she continues to fancey the metals she is not allowed to have.)

:0011: plz any advice will do.

2. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

I have never heard of that problem but for sure you need to find a way to break her of that habit as it could be fatal. I am surprised she has not already suffered a puncture either externally or internally from the items you described.
    Thinking logically, there could be some vitamin or mineral deficiency and she is trying to satisfy by chewing metal objects. You didn't say how old she is but if she is a puppy then she may grow out of it.
    You mentioned itching, which is an alergic reaction, and thats why the change in food helped. This metal obsession has to have some basis and I hope you find out before she hurts herself.
    Good luck and keep us posted if you find out anything.

3. lil96

lil96 New Member

maybe she is a PICA (i forget what that stands for, but it is the people who eat weird stuff like dirt or soap) hehe

4. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

I agree with Dukesdad, its possible its a diet deficiency, or could be a 'learned' behaviour from puppyhood. Ive posted a link that will give you some information but I think you should have the vet check her out to make sure she's healthy.

It mentions in the link about coating the items shes chewing with something, theres a product called Bitter Apple that is usually available at most pet stores or feed stores.....about 95% of dogs hate the taste of it, it wont harm her and the only side effect Ive ever heard of is temporary hypersalivation because of the foul taste, that usually passes after about 15 minutes or less.

http://www.usask.ca/wcvm/herdmed/applie ... cabeh.html

5. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

Had a girl that loved eating drywall and one who ate door frames and one who favored rocks. Had one who chewed on its metal cage from rescue and came to us chewing anything metal it could find. I think it is just a developed taste they form for certain objects due to certain circumstances in there life. My son had a preference to chewing on his hot wheels and know other toy. Some years back in school we did and experiment using sour candy, giving a piece to 10 people and then ask them to rate how sour it was on a scale of 1 to 10 and not one agreed with the other. I don’t think diet has anything to do with it..
    I feel it’s preference to taste and behavioral. Having found a preference and knowing you don’t like it has made it the choice of the day. Have you tried to substitute the metal with a chew toy or cookie?

1pyr

6. horse_child

horse_child New Member

You could try using hot sauce or hot pepper powder on the ogjects she's constantly chewing on. That might break her of the habit. We use that on foals who won't stop chewing and i've only known of 1 that actually liked the taste of it. :roll:

7. ladys*ribbit

ladys*ribbit New Member

thank you all for the advice. we have an app. to see the vet this week she is going to get (fixed) i hate that word i usually say ,made unbirthable. she is three and has four litters. two before she came to me and two after. i think it's is fare to say she might have picked it up as a pup when she lived with the people i recived her from i guess you could say i am her hero. the house was horrible and majorly infested, i talked to the animal controll and they had her handed over to me. the next week the house burnd down. i cried thinking only if i hadn't gotten her out she is my baby i have had her for 6 years now. i do every thing i can to make sure she doesn't suffer. tanks agin for your advice.

ribbits

8. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

You could say "shes being spayed" or even "She's having an OVHT"

:shock: :shock:

Sorry....I wasnt being picky or having a go at you....it made me laugh. :lol:

Then again mybe I missed something....wouldnt be the first time. :D

9. ladys*ribbit

ladys*ribbit New Member

what made you laugh about it ?? ok i missed some words hay hay it happens!!
    thanks for puttin some hummor in in though.

10. someday

someday New Member

I think what made her laugh is that you said the dog was three in the first quote, but you've had her for 6 years in the second. :mrgreen:

11. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Earlier today I put in a happy smiley face on something that I meant to put a 'Im very mad' face and as someone posted after it I couldnt go back and change it.....I felt reeeeeaallly bad. :( ....It happens. :D

12. ladys*ribbit

ladys*ribbit New Member

sorry to have sounded a lil freaked, i lnow it does sound funny (three years old and having her for six years) but i didn't know how old she was when she came to me, so as i feel anyone would do i tok her to the vet the frist thing and since six years i've been keeping up the vet trips and her new date of birth, with me. it's hard not knowing when the dog was realy born. but we celebrate it anyway.

:y_the_best: oh chill i'm not mad at anyone, i promise i was just wannin some in put on how it was funny. i make mistakes often so i was just wonderig(oh i wonder, wonder,won..der, whats my doggies age.)
    hehehe oh me... thanks again.

13. ladys*ribbit

ladys*ribbit New Member

lil96: duke is so cute he looks like my dads dog. pudge, he is an american escoma, chihuahua mix (mom chihuahua) don't ask. now him i know he is 7 years. he the most spoilled dog i have ever seen. he goes to bed only when my dad is going, he sleeps under the covers only when my dad is under them. he has a health food mix, but he'll eat around the veggies and leave them only in the dish. he has his own couch, that he shares with the cats he doesn't mind them but any one else my dog or any of us go to sit he leaves and will peek around the corner to see if we have gottin up if he sees were not there then hell come back.. he is so cute though.